Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
Also from a boarders standpoint I didn't like the powder skirt. I like one that you can attach to your pants.
I know where youre coming from... but go the geek option: get bib and brace shell pants. They are so incredibly comfortable for messy pow days and bad weather. I will never change back. With B&B you dont need a super lock down powder skirt.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
 Quote:
Also from a boarders standpoint I didn't like the powder skirt. I like one that you can attach to your pants.
I know where youre coming from... but go the geek option: get bib and brace shell pants. They are so incredibly comfortable for messy pow days and bad weather. I will never change back. With B&B you dont need a super lock down powder skirt.
Yeah, agreed - got a pair of goretex shell mountaineering B & B's - bomb-proof they are. Can also tuck thermals in so never get a cold back or chilled kidneys.

those bib shell pants- are they patagonia too? If so I don't like the bottoms. More skier-specific. Next year Burton will have a zip-in bib in the ronin line. I have one from 3 years ago and it rocks. On pow days I zip in the bib, and the rest of the time just have them as regular pants.

Spud you not liking the burton ak 3l jacket?

Fatty - I haven't had a chance to buy anything yet. London isn't exactly a mecca for gear shopping and it is hard to cruise different shops comparing a full range of makes and models. But I have given up on getting a jacket with wrist gaiters, gortex shells just don't seem to come with them. I take a quick look in a shop each weekend at a resort. If I see what I want I will grab it.

Kuma - I have Arcteryx Theta SK pants. They really are very very good. I love boarding and touring in them. I can't stress enough how comfortable and functional they are.

product_compare.aspx?prod=3567

If you don't want something that high then you can get the SK version. but I dont think they are as tough?

As for Burton AK 3L jacket, a few negatives:

- The hood is not stowable nor removable

- It has a magnetic storm flap over the zip (Gimmick, weight, what is that doing on a technical shell?)

- I don't think it has extensive under arm venting. They are small and mesh lined. Check out Arcteryx for what good venting is all about.

- I can't find out how much it weighs.

To be honest, I like my Arcteryx jacket, except for the silly sidewinder neck zip irritation and the fact that the neck doesn't come up to my nose for storm protection.

sorry about that spud! I hadn't seen the 3l this year yet and was suprised to see the mesh pit zips! What the hell? The storm flap is stupid too. Next year's 3l has a removeable hood.

I have one from 4 years ago and it's got huge pit zips and 4 venting chest zips/pockets.

Just get a neck warmer and your two pet peeves will disappear!

What's wrong with my blue fur down jacket, CB, fattwins?? \:o No need to worry, I'm not buying another fur. \:\)

I didn't go to patagonia sale. A friend of mine bought Primo jacket about 40,000yen, it looks like she is wearing a shirt from behind.

I found my favourite local shop has Hoglofs HELI2Q Jacket for 32,000yen but it's red... I'll probably wait for 2006-2007 new model.

Quote:
sorry about that spud! I hadn't seen the 3l this year yet and was suprised to see the mesh pit zips! What the hell? The storm flap is stupid too. Next year's 3l has a removeable hood.
I have one from 4 years ago and it's got huge pit zips and 4 venting chest zips/pockets.

Just get a neck warmer and your two pet peeves will disappear!
You hit on a real thing there. The 3L from a few seasons ago is a way better jacket than this seasons.

Regarding my jacket search, I have all but decided to give up on the stowable hood.

(ps - unfortunately the neckwarmer doesn't relieve the under side of the chin jab from the stiffener Arcteryx neck thing. It caused discomfort all weekend yet again and is a real shame as the jacket is amazingly functional, just quite uncomfortable to wear)

It is a little heavier than I wanted (770gms) but meets most of my needs: tough, three layer XCR, powder skirt, reinforced shoulders, stowable hood, nice high comfy neck blah blah. I didn't want the zip flap but that was proving very hard to fulfil. I am sure there are better makes out there but physically shopping around for all of them in my part of the world is almost impossible. I also give credit to the hood stowing system on this jacket, it is innovative and very effective. It was also cheaper than some other more trendy brands.

And so I own the Berghaus Trango!

prod_20701.jpg

Quote:
those bib shell pants- are they patagonia too? If so I don't like the bottoms. More skier-specific.
No, they're an Aussie brand - MONT. Because they're mountaineering pants - with thick abrasions protection on the knees and butt - they're suited to both Skiing and Boarding.

Three layer goretex, full butt/leg zip with velcro flaps, zip hand pockets, elastic gussetted waist (back), high (kidney) coverage, etc.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Is Berghaus the company name?

Never heard of it
But it looks like it has everything you wanted
Did you have to shell a load out to get it?
Berghaus is a Pommy company that makes an extensive range of rucksacks, etc - suprised you've never heard of it wakaranai.gif

I understood from a friend of mine that Gore is very insisting on having a zip flap. As they test all gear that uses their membrane they vetod the weather resistant zips at first, but had to give in at the end because many clothing manufacturers were threating Gore with some sort of boycot.

Berghaus is very traditional so they probably just follow the Gore guidelines to the letter.

Hey Spud, I know you got your jacket already, but did you see the Arc'teryx sidewinder? It looks amazing, but pricy. I haven't seen one up close so I can't really tell if it's all that good though

I went to H+ in Daikanyama today.

I really liked green HELI2Q jacket 56000yen. But another online shop has orange for 32000yen...

green.jpg sunset_rust.jpg

Should I get green or orange? Orange wasn't so bad but I liked green... confused.gif

The shop guy at H+ is very nice. He gave me petit powder lesson and said I can borrow his fat skis if I want. Some clothing are on sale except for those jackets I want to buy...

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
 Quote:
Or get a one piece suit ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Should I get green or orange? Orange wasn't so bad but I liked green... confused.gif
Get Orange - I like the green too, but if you ski trees or BC, you wanna be visible. People who wear all white or grey are accidents waiting to happen. ;\)

Quote:
Some clothing are on sale except for those jackets I want to buy...
Ain't that ALWAYS the case! \:\(
 Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
Btw, a friend bought alot of stuff from Peak a few years ago (goretex jacket, fleece, backpack) and ended up tossing it away. According to him, the stuff just did not work and was not something you want to depend on in the winter. Nice design though.
Peak uses top notch materials. Their main problem is that they don't know how to make good functioning outdoor clothing from it. There's always something wrong with their products (bad inserted zip, strange cut hood, bad taped seams etc). But if you just want to look good in the bar/lodge then Peak is a very good choice.