• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by janus77:
I need new pants, gloves and possibly a new jacket.. is there cheaper stuff in Hakuba, or should I ask my cousin if she'd mind driving me to a ski store or two in Tokyo before we leave?
If you arn't a giant then you can find cheap and very good stuff in Hakuba
Even I should be able to find clothing there and I'm 180cm tall. I don't have so much meat on my bones though for somebody that spends their days in front of a computer.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
thats a good price I got mine at cost minus 40% nice
well cost is normally 60% of the final price. so if you got 40% off cost then you paid 20% of the actual price....iiiiina!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
What is this Recco reflector that you guys are talking about?
RECCO Tm is a small 4cm x 2cm x 0.5cm piece of enceased diode.A passive one. Let say it is like a reflector.

Then you have the RECCO trans-recievers,that cost about 5000€s,only skiresorts have them,and they used to weight about 15kgs (nowadays down to 1kg).
The transmitters emit a signal that is amplified and reflected back to the transmitter. Hence the term "passive", the user of
Recco doesnt have to do anything else than to buy a Recco patch for a 15€ and get buried.

But.

In short, Recco is a bodyrecovery tool.
Nothing else.
There are obviously cases where avy victims have been found alive (last one a month ago,after 45min burial..), but very few reported.
This is mainly because practically only ski installations have the transrecievers. Groups/individuals have to alert,direct and rely on "outsiders" and loose time.
And when you loose time, the buried victim dies.

The response times of the patroll are almost every time 30-90minutes (depending of the place,obviously), so there is little to no chance of survival.
In few places they have a "souped up" Recco transmitter on helicopters,that way they can narrow down the search area if the weather permits flying.

The main "benefit" of the Recco is that it can be incorporated in various clothes and skiboots that clueles people that might wear when they stumble to avalnche terrain,get buried and die.

That way the rescuers have to spend minimal time in the avalanche terrain while searching for the body and dont have to jeopardize their lives.

So,no,they can only be considered as a bonus-addon to your normal reciever+sond+spade+brain+good parter BC package.

Uh,Toque,did i answer you´r question... lol.gif

Ok, I caused a confusion by mentioning recco. I must have looked like (even more of) an idiot in teh above. lol.gif Let me sort it out:

- I meant the Recco avalanche seach tab/reflector. I have one built into my jacket sleeve like the one Sanno and Meathelmut are talking about.

- Recco is not essential, but at very little weight, why not have one as a last resort precaution, although they are limited in their effectiveness for reasons mentioned above. Your orientation in teh snow is also an issue. You should really have on on your front and one on your back.

- If the jacket did not have a Recco reflector then it really wouldnt matter one little bit. I dont actually want one. I threw that on as an afterthought at the end of teh list and only said it would be 'nice'.

- I know what a beacon is. Both me and my GF own wear and practice with them all teh time. I even have two very old broken ones that only transmit. I use them for simulating multiple burials.

- I was being sarcastic when I asked "what is bea-con".

Now, back to the jacket:

- Haglöfs is pronounced hoglerves.

- The gear looks good but like Toque said, it isnt all fused and welded.

- But it is light!

The Swedish are also making:

http://www.tierra.se/

http://www.peakperformance.se/templates/products____4034.aspx

I have the Helium Jacket from Haglofs, it's served me well, but after +150 days of use it's starting to show some wear. This particular model probably doesn't meet the criteria you listed, but Haglofs makes some nice stuff. If I were looking to buy another jacket, another maker I would look at is Mountain Hardware.

Btw, a friend bought alot of stuff from Peak a few years ago (goretex jacket, fleece, backpack) and ended up tossing it away. According to him, the stuff just did not work and was not something you want to depend on in the winter. Nice design though.

I checked out the Haglofs store in Harajuku on the weekend. A really small place but was really impressed with the HELIUM Jacket as well as the HELI 2 jacket. The HELIUM Jacket seems to be the top of the range and is really light!

Spud, you mentioned that you wanted a jacket that has a nice, high neck ... I have a PATAGONIA Patrol jacket from a few years back and it has a very high neck with a soft fleece lining on the chin area. I find it great for keeping my chin and lip area out of the wind. Have you checked out PATAGONIA's current range yet?

Yeah, that helium jaket looks good in its own right, even if not meeting my picky creiteria.

NPM - I am a bit interested in the Primo Jacket by Patagonia

The Millet Aspen jacket comes close to meeting, however it has a completly unwanted insulating layer. First jacket I have found with lycra hand insert in the cuff. But I dont like that zip at all.

p_469_GDE.jpg

The Patagonia is nice but a bit pricy at like 50,000 yen isnt it?

Ive been using the same jacket for 5 seasons and gloves (which honk btw) and was thinkin about gettin a new jacket. Want to wait and see what happens when the sales hit. Was also lookin at Patagonia's White Smoke jacket. Anybody have it?