http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10364408

MOSCOW - Animals at zoos across Russia were being given shots, or in some cases buckets, of vodka, to keep them warm yesterday as temperatures in the European part of the country plunged towards an exceptional minus 40 degrees Celsius.

In the ancient town of Yaroslavl a travelling circus there said it had been forced to start giving its trio of Indian elephants vodka mixed with water in buckets as the mercury dipped.

I had once -35 in Germany. Had to go 100Km to work. Car ran OK, but shock absorbers where frozen. The highway was LITTERED with diesel cars and trucks, since diesel becomes milky below -20 (just like olive oil in the fridge) (you have to add normal petrol to keep it from freezing).

BTW, I doubt the vodka to animals story. It's cute, but probably not true. To have them survive you have to KEEP them warm, not let them think they are warm.

What is the process of dying from freezing?! Like, how long does it take. And can you start not moving because you are ice, like in the movies? lol.gif (though it is in fact not funny of course!)

freezing rain and wind will break branches, but cold weather won't. i have had my windshield crack because of the cold though.

every year in the canadian rockies we get at least one week where the temperature drops to about -40 as a day time high. and that does not include wind.

not a good time to be out on the slopes.