I really like Kawaba - it's a good place one of my favorites of the area. And yes they do get really good snow there probably some of the best in the whole region.

• 9 months later...

Kawaba or white world Iwakura?

I'll be in Gunma prefacture for a couple of days second week of January and looking at one of these resorts for a day out. I fancy Kawaba as its closer than White World.

Did you get to Kawaba scouser?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Kawaba twice before, but never thought that the snow there was good. Maybe I wasn't lucky. Fattwins, is Tenjindaira better? Tenjindaira is the deepest snow resort in that area, right? I've heard Tanigawadake is very difficult mountain.

one of my mates used to ride there alot. Tenjindaira is the small resort nearby, Tanigawadake is the overall mtn range. +780 deaths (mostly rock-climbing) there since they opened the nearby railroad-line in the 1930's. To me it has a pretty heavy omnious vibe to it.

Lots of gnarly lines at Tanigawadake. You can google for pics, here are some guys riding machigasawa:

P10007441.jpg

ishida02.jpg

ishida01.jpg

I hiked over Tanigawadake one day in summer. It rained non stop for 8 hours. I never saw more than 40 feet in front of me. I was wet, soaked, drenched and then got freaked out descending into dense forest for about 3 hours, I couldn't stop thinking about bears.

Looking at the images above I think I'll stick to the relatively passive Kawaba. Tenjindaira looks extreme and the only thing I'd have to offer would be upping the numbers to 781

yep I can't imagine the groomers getting up there, though I would pay to see them try. I'm not an bc person (though would love to try some) I tend to board solo on the corduroy, hence small resorts with good bc is wasted on me. Though I am going to visit hachimantai and see how far I can safely venture off the beaten track (probably about 10 meters)

Those pics are from a good 3hr hike from the top lift at Tenjindaira. The resort itself is a complete waste of time but the backside of the ridge bounding the north end of the resort has some nice runs down into a long valley that takes you to the bottom of the gondola. Medium steep mostly with some nice wee cliffs to huck off but quite short unless you count the long valley out. Its worth going to if it hasn't snowed recently in Hakuba but has at Tenjindaira (They get a lot of snow!) but otherwise I would say Hakuba has better, longer more varied backcountry runs.