TR: First and Second turns of the Season. POWDER in the Tateyama. Nov 19/20 and 26/27

Fattwins and I went into the Tateyama area to get some backcountry skiing and our first turns of the season. We were lucky and got to ski some really light powder. The weather wasn't very good for us though and we wern't able to make the summit like we wanted but we had a great time. Another fellow named Chris who is from Nagano also joined us and we introduced him the backcountry skiing.

Digging camp while the snow falls

toque_88.jpg

Had to cross this little creek to get to the runs on Raicho.

toque_72.jpg

I broke trail all the way up to our first run so I'm pretty stoked for first tracks on our first run of the season. No pictures from that run though.

toque_73.jpg

Fattwins digging a quick pit to make sure it was safe. Turns out that the new snow slid and sluffed on the hard layer that he found. But it was just some deep sluff.

toque_87.jpg

Fattwins skinning up a really steep skin track for our first run Sunday morning.

toque_75.jpg

Fattwins skiing down the run we just skinned up.

toque_76.jpg

toque_89.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris skiing down

toque_78.jpg

Looking back up our 1st run Sunday morning. Great turns.

toque_90.jpg

Back up for another run just a bit further along the slope. We skied all the way to the valley bottom.

toque_80.jpg

Fattwins won Janken for 1st tracks down this untouched face mad.gif

toque_91.jpg

Looking back up our 2nd run. Our skin track on the left. Really nice and fast turns.

toque_92.jpg

You weren't they only one's on the mountain it seems although the skiing pix don't show anyone else. Or were those people in the background your support team?

Too bad about the weather although the snow looks great for a season start!

There should be a snowjapan moblog. Then you can keep us up to date during these weekend expeditions with pictures from your keitai.

Farming turns across the valley

toque_83.jpg

It cleared up for about 30 minutes. Would have been really great to up there. All the tracks on this face were skied while it was white out so they wern't so lucky as it looks.

toque_93.jpg

And that was it. We were faced with about a 45 minute uphill skin back to the bus station with our very heavy overnight bags.

toque_94.jpg

toque_86.jpg

Yes it is

And all the things that I brought the only extra piece of clothing I didn't use was a very light down vest

There were lots of people there and if you look close on the sunny Tateyama picture you can see tracks on almost all the slopes.

In the morning there was about 50 people skinning and snowshoeing up the Raicho face. They all ski down the same skied out route.

You don't see people in my pictures because I kind of plan it that way and we try to avoid the more travelled places.

I don't know if there was a thousand people up there skiing and snowboarding but most every bit of skiable snow was skied out by the time we left Sunday afternoon.

Tateyama on sunday was gold. visibility on saturday was no good but we still got one run in, complete with fattwins popping out of his bindings and then hopping across the rocks in the creek to get back to camp...

it was a perfect first weekend of backcountry for me... much thanks to toque and fattwins for lending me trekkers and a beacon, and for the tips along the way.

-Another fellow named Chris

Sorry about the are-our mix up im just so tired right now. I drank a litre of coffee on the way home so I couldnt get to sleep untill 12ish. Im bagged, Had a good time that is for sure.

The freerides rule I cant wait to play with them more.

kurisu if you want to see the real good stuff this season you are gonna have to invest a bit.

One bad thing about my trip was my skins, the glue pretty much came off. I will now use toques tips to re-glue my skins.

Yamakashi, you're right about that bottle of whiskey and fattwins' exquisite taste in booze, but after drinking from a nalgene filled with part tea, part chocolate liqueur, part water, part pocari sweat, and probably some bodily fluids, I don't think it would have made a difference if he had brought an 18 year-old premium blend.

That is strange about your skins

You'll have to figure that out and get them re-glued

It's not our last trip out though FT

We still have at least 4 or 5 more BC trips in the Spring to look to.

Hey Kurisu. Good to have you out there. I didn't have to listen to FT the entire time because of you which was good ;\)

Pick up a pair of fat skis and a beacon before the season gets going and we can show you the real goods

invest a bit, eh? does the 5 man i dropped last week on a pack, sleeping bag, skins and poles that turn into a probe not count as an investment?

Trekkers are next, then a beacon, then warmer/lighter jacket... but they're all a few paychecks away

Quote:
Originally posted by kurisu:
invest a bit, eh? does the 5 man i dropped last week on a pack, sleeping bag, skins and poles that turn into a probe not count as an investment?
Trekkers are next, then a beacon, then warmer/lighter jacket... but they're all a few paychecks away
It's an expensive sport dude
I'd get the beacon first