Hi,

Last year's snow was so fantastic that I got back into skiing (I had only skiied casually years ago though).

I'm planning a trip with a few friends for us to ride natural snow for the first time this season in mid-December.

I found a couple of packages that would be about 20000 yen for transport + accomodation + lift ticket(s) for a one night, two day visit to either Naeba or Hakuba (latter is actually 15000 yen with one day lift ticket, where Naeba is 20000 yen for 2 day lift ticket, so they're a wash).

http://kokunai.tour.ne.jp/tour/tur_dtl.php?tur_id=55838&dp_ym=2005/12&dp_d=17&knd_no=1&acc=1

http://kokunai.tour.ne.jp/tour/tur_dtl.php?tur_id=55819&dp_ym=2005/12&dp_d=17&knd_no=2&acc=1

I've never been to either resort, so I don't have much of an idea about how much snow we can expect by mid-December and how the crowds will be (which of course depends on the snow).

Now, snow's obviously dependent on weather, so which location is likely to have enough snow in mid-December? (Both places are scheduled to have all runs open by then, but then again, last year snow came to Hakuba late, right?)

And I've heard that Naeba can get quite crowded, but is Hakuba similar?

Travel time from Tokyo seems to be similar with Naeba about 30-60 min closer than Hakuba's 3 hour Shinkansen + bus ride.

So, any help and input would be much appreciated! (And I'll probably make some solo trips during the season, so hopefully I'll see some of you then, cheers.)

This is really hard to answer because it all depends on snow. You just need to be keen to get correct snow information. Sometimes enough at that time, sometimes no like last season.

If it's somewhen around mid December, I don't think it's so crowded.

Naeba is basically just one (big) resort.

Hakuba has more resorts in the area to choose from. (Though admittedly there is more to choose from in Yuzawa 30 mins away from Naeba).

I'm not sure about Hakuba in mid-December, but I'd say Naeba is a bit risky.

In a regular year mid-december in Hakuba can see some great snow, I've had many early season trips at this time that were memorable.

Occasionally there's nothing to speak of. I'd take the risk with Hakuba, though, and book a trip there. Chances are it'll be at least respectable.

• 3 weeks later...