Man, that's about 600km eek.gif It doesn't really help either, because the Tsubasa runs on standard track once it leaves Fukushima, and at normal speeds. Winding up and down through the snowy mountains is a great trip, but it's slow. So it doesn't matter which way you get to Yamagata by train, it won't be fast.

Think of it as a reality adjustment, part of the Tohoku thing.

Edit: it's 450km, and would be the best way. Oops, must have been taking too much reality adjustment..

advantyper: you can get a pension in Zao for about 5,000 Yen per night with breakfast. These are family run places, so service will be good. If you have a big group, there are also lodges (self catering, cheap). If you are serious, I can put up some information. It will be in Japanese, but they have photos and prices. If you are really serious, I don't mind doing a bit of legwork, but I'll need some details.

Thanks everyone. I'm very pleased to put up some shots of Tohoku, and I'm glad you like them. It really is a lovely place to live, as long as you don't mind mountains and snow ;\)