Im back! Hello to the regulars. My mates and I had *such* a good time last Feb we are coming again.

Everyone go to Niseko...the rest of Japan is awful...

Seriously...all you aussies reading this...its the *only* place to ski for you, restaurants, bars, night life...party party party...english instruction, Hanazono looks great! Go the Hokkaido Bear Bar!....Oh and the girls are awesome!

Alas, us poor older/married out of the square skiers are seeking more of a variety of terrain. Something more akin to dense trees in waist deep powder with no-one to be seen, we are quite happy with no vis and a metre of fresh snow ..and as long as we can eat something japanese we are happy... terrain wise something perhaps with a dash of small cornices and perhaps a small side of air with a little helping of terrain park and Japanese rooms with onsen and sake for all...

preferrably nearly no one speaks english and we have to struggle to be understood...

What do the hardcores recommend (perhaps not so hard core as the usual suspects...)

We were thinking a 3 resort saga over late Jan to mid/late Feb and we were thinking maybe Hakuba, then Rusutsu and something else on Hokkaido (asahaidake?? prob not furano as too militant patrol wise). Niseko La Ponte was a hoot but not not not niseko proper...

Smaller is ok. We might get a hire car out of Nagano after the shinkansen..

two words i learnt last trip:

Seth Rocks!

Oh and I need new boots in Tokyo on the way through..recommend me a boot fitter on the strip in Jimbocho for someone with fat size 9 Aus feet please..will I have trouble do you think (thats 325mm boots)

TIA

JD

G'day phool. I think that you could certainly spend all three weeks in the Nagano region and not be dissappointed. This will save you a day or two of travel time between the islands. Once you start discovering what Honshu has I don't think you will go back to Hokkaido. Cheers might see you there in Feb.

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
The go is Nagano and Switzerland. For us anyways. \:D
Eiee? problem with switzerland for me is t h e d i s t a n c e.

I worked out I could leave friday at 530pm from Bris and CLIP ON geared up at Noz by 1230 Saturday... Canada is no longer a serious option.

Fattwins....u sold me the pocketo rocketos my wife is skiing on ;\) and yes...its seth pistols...

We did Noz last year. Nice enough but too much ridge lines (flat) and not enough terrain (actual downhill skiing) for our tastes....yes i know you all know the good stuff...but we arent brave enough to go right off into who knows where..unseen and Im sure noz offers more of that...

.. rusutsu was good in that everything drained to a lift and was pretty much spot-able from the lift... and there was such a wide choice of lines.. Not the steepest but way fun with fresh...

Noz is out this year. Hakuba is on the short list. Do we stay in the village or hire a car and be a little out of the action? (is hiring a car in Nagano a problem? Im thinking people mover which I presume is a common option)..

In tokyo there were plenty of skiis to be had...but I never really looked at boot sizes. My prblem is not only are my feet "large" they are like ducks as in wide..(EE)...
Doesnt sound like I should be risking the Tokyo purchase (at least not without a "known good" bootfitter to see.. Boots are like getting married...choose the wrong one and u regret it the rest of your life...

tia

JD

Phool, you are right, not only size but also the form as well. Guess perhaps it's too hassle for you to find a right pair of boots in Japan if you don't know some shops for it?

You'd better get correct informations for it.

I think EE is okay, but the problem is really the form, not the width.

Sometimes I have hard time to find some big pairs of ski boots for my customers when they say their feet are like 32cms, 33cms ( Any size over 30cms are hard to find if it's without notice ).

BTW, What does Noz mean?

phool. My foot is size nine, EEE. The only shoes I can wear are Clarks, and the only walking boots are Scarpas. Like these two, Dolomite have a super wide last. The boots I bought in the Yamagata Sports Depo sale are the first really comfortable pair I've had in 30 years skiing.

The metric size is 29.5-31.0.

There is a good shuttle service that runs around Hakuba that will take you to the different mountains and the taxis are reasonably priced to get around to other places. Some of the bigger hotels have courtesy buses as well. As far as the runs go there is a lot of verticle and great off piste within the resorts boundary.I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the mountains there. We found it difficult to hire a car in Hakuba and finally decided against it when we saw the road map. If you hire then do it in Nagano. Don't forget your international licence.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally posted by phool:
My prblem is not only are my feet "large" they are like ducks as in wide..(EE)...
Doesnt sound like I should be risking the Tokyo purchase (at least not without a "known good" bootfitter to see.. Boots are like getting married...choose the wrong one and u regret it the rest of your life...'
Although you're from BrisVegas, try this place - http://www.larryadler.com/home.cfm (the 1024 Pittwater Road shop)

Ask for the Strolz boots - custom jobs. Each year they get expert bootfitters in from Austria to fit 'em, or alternatively, make sure Larry himself fits 'em (he was the bootfitter for the Oz ski team years ago).

These boots are like slippers to wear - the red ones do indeed go faster, lean back in them at your own peril!

Trust me, they are worth it. Happy hunting.