My family are planning a ski trip to Japan in February. We are eyeing on one of the big resorts (Niseko, Hakuba, Yamanoochi, etc.)

With any one of the resorts in those areas likely to have much better snow conditions and slopes than here in Korea, the slopes do not matter much.

But a more important factor for our family is the modernization of the resort: for example, whether the chairlifts have safety bars and footrests (very important for my wife), decent restaurants, childcare center, and so on.

In this regard, could you please recommend a suitable resort for our family?

Many thanks.

That's funny that you can't remember seeing footrests. Be assured that they are not uncommon in Japan, perhaps you just don't notice them. I certainly DID notice them once when one knee was hurting and it was a relief to get on those lifts with footrests so that the skis did not just dangle and pull on the knees.

Those foot rests are an added danger to the sport for tall people! I reccomend they ban the damn things before I loose the only other working knee I have!

Either that or people are kind enough to say a word or two before they put the damn things down!!

tsondaboy, Kandatsu has mostly upgraded its food facilities and improved its park. I haven't seem any changes to the actual lifts. What they should do is hold night-sessions and extend their onsen hours, that would be perfect.

That said, it is a fairly modern place compared to Kagura (though much much smaller).