I know what you're saying, but, unfortunately it never quite goes that way. In my eagerness to get to the snow, my first day is usually one of the two following scenarios:

1: Go to a resort with one run open, icy, hard. Last season, first day out was Ontake. Taught my partner to snowboard, she wiped out, still feels the injury today, not allowed to go there any more.

2: Go backcountry, high up, ski rocks, spend the next few weeks weeping over huge slices outta me new rides.

So no, the first day I always expect the worse hope for the best, and remind meself it'll only get better. I think having a killer last day is the best. Gotta hit that slightly wet, heavy spring dump that always shows up just when you think the games up.

agreed...

first day on snow is more of a religious ritual thing...it is a re-birth...

the joy of being on the mtn. for the first time after a long hot summer usually compensates for the fact that there is probably as much grass around as snow, and as miteyak pointed out, 1 trail, and scars for the rest of the season...

but what else are you going to do?? NOT GO??

back east, kilington was usually the first place to open up...the snow is so patchy that sometimes they have a pickup truck drive you from one skiable patch to another...ahhhh, but it was sooo good...

danz

First time for me in Japan was last year Dec 22-23rd up at Happo to the tune of 3 ft of fresh powder - so needless to say I wasn't complaining too much. Went back to the States a week later to Wildcat up in New Hampshire to snow more fitting for a hockey game. Danz - gotta love the K-Mart opening in Oct back home. Long lift lines, terrible snow, but on the skis again. Can't go wrong with that.

Last year the season started early in mid-November. There was plenty of snow on all the main runs at Nozawa, although some of the routes under lifts weren't ready. On hard to access runs on the mid-mountain, the pow was piled up face-high. No question of scraping your board there...

I'm going to try and get out to Marunuma Kogen in Gunma this season mid November, or as soon as there is some decent snow there. Anyone else up for a trip up there? Room for 2 more in the car.

...anyway, what do you mean 'set the tone'? What, if you have a crap first time out, you're going to mope through all the waist deep powder and cool tree runs later on? ... dozo.

Scouser, is that 'Malnuma' where they charge snowboarders 'communication money' for the privelege of enjoying a third of the courses...? If that was my first time out, it would set a rather hostile tone I believe...

I didn't word it very well, did I? I meant that the first time is real important and a having a bad first day is a real letdown after the build up to a new season. A great first day is just the most awesome feeling.

Something like that. Anyway, got a hangover, so I might still not be making much sense...