If one was about to buy all the startup gear for snowboarding, where should you focus your cash (relative to the price of other stuff)?

Keep in mind:

- never done it before

- in Japan

- want to explooit as much of the mountain as I can

BOOTS! buy new boot and you can get everthing else used... Remember its the only peice of equipment in contact with you body(minus clothing which has very little to do with HOW you ride). If your feet hurt the best equipment in the world won't help.

If you are a total newbie Then you should definitely focus on getting comfy boots. Bad boots will make you want to quit boarding.

But do not overlook the board. A renter or beginner board will be totally fine for the first few times (I don't know...maybe 10 times). But when you get hooked and want to get serious about the sport shelling out the bucks for a nice board with lots of pop will make all the difference. Having good gear does push you to be become a better rider.

I bought some gear (jacket and pants - last seasons stuff at half price) on the weekend. I also glanced at boards a little and was amazed at the price spread. Last years boards seemed heavily discounted, but I am only assuming that they are last years.

As for boots.... Are there any brands that are renounded for trouble? All is it all a function of the individuals foot shape. I pretty much want to know if there are any brands that I should just steer clear of.

cheers

deebee, most known brands are OK for boots, so it is a lot of personal preference and what best fits your foot.

Every foot is a different shape, so you need to try many boots to get one that is the same shape as your foot.

Once you have one that is the right width, curve, length, then you can start to get it set up for your feet.

Remember that if you are going to get a good fit, that your toes should just touch the ends when you stand upright, and don't forget to trim your toenails regularly.

Is that really recommended, having your toes touching the ends?? It sounds like a recipe for cold tootsies (as well as nasty toenail problems). Of course, if it's really a requirement, getting size 28 boots in Japan will certainly help you to meet that.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on that?

Tight fit, with thick socks on, feet just not touching the ends of yer boots when you're squishing (tech term) right down on them.

Good ankle hold V. important. Some brands now have a pump to aid fitting around the ankles, 'spec. if you have narrow ones. (like just about everyone i've gone shopping for boots with seem to have, maybe should be 'normal' ankles)

Oh, and don't forget, feet are diff. sizes morning and evening, hot 'n cold!

My boots are sized so that, in the morning, after a night in bed and a hot shower, my toes just touch the ends.

After about 2-3 runs I have to relace my boots as my feet shrink a little as they lose all the extra heat. then all is fine.

Also be aware that you may need to have the boots modified by a boot fitter to suit small irregularities in your feet. The vein in my left foot runs over the large bone and gets compressed, cutting off blood supply and causing pain and cramping in the rest of the foot, so I have a load of packing around the rest of that area to take the pressure of the boot, leaving the vein uncompressed.

You have all giving great advice...but you left out a VERY important factor on boot fitting. Most people (about 80% of us) pronate when they put wieght on their foot,(the flattening of your your arch thus pushing your toes forward) effectivly increasing your foot size. A good foot bed will not only keep your foot from pronating but increase your (foots) stamina due to you tendions having to fire(working)less because your foot isn'sliding/flattening as much.... I wrote more on this but my home computer doesn't alway agree with me....Just remember footbeds/arch support are key.

good point oddis10

I have large (read 15 degree) orthotics in my boots as well, so I don't have problems with that.

If you suffer from any foot pains/aches at all, make sure you tell the boot fitter.

If you wear the soles of your shoes really badly on one side of the heel, then see a podiatrist to see if you need orthotics, and if you do, make sure you take the orthotics with you to the boot fitting.

Go to a boot fitting when you have a few hours to spare. Get the boots fitted when you arrive, then spend a couple of hours, if you can, walking around the shop and see if the boots feel comfortable.

Repeat as many times as required to get a good fit.

i cringe when i see a first-day beginner with all the top-of-the-line gear, they then spend the first season running over rocks, running into other peoples boards, having kids run over their board at the learners slope and generally making a mess of their expensive snowboard confused.gif .

boots need to be bought new and well fitting

after that,

get a second-hand board and bindings.

make sure the board reaches up to around your chin, if you got big feet, 28cm+, try and get a wide board(ideally your toes and heels should hang about 1cm over each edge, but you wont be creating much edge angle for a while so dont stress it too much), dont worry if it doesnt look that cool, you wont look very cool anyway, eating snow with the kids on the flat slopes :p .

stay away from any one-directional, speedy-looking types..

get any bindings, as long as theyre not alpine or those ones with excessively low backs.

then spend the money you saved by buying a cheap board&bindings on extra days at the slope and a first-day snowboard lesson, give it your best for a day or two until you can turn both ways, then take another lesson to iron out any major faults in your technique.

then i would suggest you ride until you feel comfortable and crash-free on the ski resorts main course.

then you should think about what kind of riding you wanna do, where do you wanna progress?, freeride cool.gif /halfpipe cool.gif /park cool.gif /backcountry cool.gif /alpine confused.gif etc,

then and only then you should stroll casually into the snowboard shop and choose a board&binding setup just right for you cool.gif

Along with boots the most important for a newie is WRIST GUARDS!

believe me youll appreciate them when you fall (assuming that you do! as a newie you'll proberly have a few stacks)

Cummfy boots and easy bindings...

if you get the fiddley bindings that take for ever to do up you'll wanna quit!

i recommend FLOW bindings no clicky straps just one back heel click, its simple you just flick them up and your done.

so remember WRISTIES cummmmfy boots and easy bindings.... (have a look at the injuires thread)

Be safe!

The unfortinate thing about wrist guards is that they transfer the energy that might have spraind/broken your writst up to (for most unless your a heart surgen)a more important joint, the shoulder. On my yearly visite to the hospital I get a chance to talk to the docks who deal with more ski/snowbaord injurys than any other hospital in the states and their finding at an alarming rate that most people wearing wrist guards are developing sholder problems where as the wrist would have taken most of the injury...I guess it's a trade off but haven broken my wrist multiple times and having friends with limited arm movement from shoulder trama, I would much rather have my original injurys....I know this may seem far fetched but it does make sence having previously worn wrist gaurds...open for discussion... Say is there any market for an english speaking snowboard consultant in Japan?

• 3 weeks later...