It may be May already and most of the resorts in Japan are closed, but that is no reason to hang it up if you're willing to hike a bit. This year we decided to make another trip to Yarigatake, this time with our boards. Weather was a bit iffy, there was a cold-front on Monday nite/Tuesday, but it looked manageable. It was our first time carrying that much weight so we weren't sure about the pace, plan was to stop at Yarisawa lodge (around 14km) if the going was slow, or go for the summit if our legs were feeling good for another 4-5 hours.

May 10, Day 1: Hike up to Yarigatake

Tuesday morning 6:43, monkee at the gate

DSCF0015.JPG

Yoko 9:22

About 11 km in. From here we can either go to the Karasawa Valley or continue on the Yarisawa. Later we heard from a skier on the way back that it snowed 30cm the night before, and there was some pretty nice lines to be had there.

DSCF0051.JPG

11:53

After passing Yarisawa Lodge, finally made it to old campsite and was able to switch in ski-mode.

DSCF0100b.JPG

12:50

Snow here was pretty variable, mushy with pockets of ice.

DSCF0130b.JPG

13:40

After slipping and falling about 10x decide to boot it up..

DSCF0162d.JPG

13:44

Looks close but about another 3 hours to go Blue skies, but severe cold-front weather, -7 C with wind blowing around 8 meters/second. The snow here was mostly ice. Crampons would've been nice...

More info here: http://www.mcci.or.jp/www/yarigatake/me050510.htm

DSCF0171.JPG

16:23

Summit after 22km..

DSCF0224b.JPG

18:39

After dinner, hanging out for the last shot of the day..

DSCF0228.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Toque you are very lucky to live where you live. You get a nice little playground out there. Imagine where you would be sking if you would have been put in Hokkaido dude.

Continued: May 11, Day 2 and Descent

Wed morning 7:59

After an early breakfast most everyone else at the hut went on their way, but the snow was still pretty icy so had some time to kill. Perfect time to climb Hosaki, the actual peak of Yari. After scrambling up for about 30 minutes, reached the top at 3180 meters. Really incredible views all around.

DSCF0313b.JPG

10:12

Scoping out some possible lines with the lodge staff. Hiking up this neighboring peak opens up lots of options - there is a really nice line, steep and long taking you to Haimatsu, or you can traverse a bit and ride all the way past Karasawa. The face on this side also looks sweet, but there were several cracks already starting to appear mid-way. Or, you could ride the Hidasawa-route on the backside of Yarigatake, eventually reaching Shin-Hodaka.

DSCF0336.JPG

10:14

In the end we decide on the most standard route, since it's our first time here. We would drop in just below the hut.

DSCF0339.JPG

10:40 - 11:03

Snow was variable but fun. This is what we had dreamed about for all those years...

Total vert we rode was more or less 1000m

DSCF0356.JPG

DSCF0386c.JPG

DSCF0386f.JPG

DSCF0397.JPG

11:27

Time to catch our breath, pack up and hike out 16km or so. I think next time we will probably bring along some lighter boards, the splits are nice when you can skin up, but this time we spent most of the time carrying them on our backs. Also, it is probably best to make this trip right before GW - there is more snow and the lines are longer. Anyway, all in all we had a great time.

DSCF0410.JPG

Good work! I suppose you had Yarisawa valley round ("piston" of Japan mountaineers' jargon). This route and Hidasawa valley route are famous ones from Yari Peak, which I have never been. Some call the route between Kamikochi and Tateyama, Japan Haute Route. It takes four days expedition (mid-April thru late-May). Did you try it?

While riding the overnight bus it was raining on the way up there, and was lightly snowing when we got the Kamikochi Terminal. The wind was also blowing pretty good even in the valley floor. Near the top it was blowing my wife around pretty good, I weigh a bit more so it wasn't as bad for me. It was reversed while skinning up, though, since she could walk up stuff that I would slip and fall on (the snow there was either slush or ice). At night I used 3 blankets between the futons, yeah it was pretty cold! Planned to spend a day at Karasawa on the way back, but we were just too shot, next time we will bring lighter boards for sure. If you have the chance this weekend it might be worth trying out Toque.

SnowConnection, nope we have not done the Japan Haute Route. Here's one page I found about it:

http://www.edico.jp/chronicle1/japan-haute-route.html

You can find more searching for "日本のオートルート"

I'm going to do Norikura this weekend. The weather isn't the tops anyways.

Thinking of getting in the Karasawa again next weekend if you are up to it??

I want to try and get my bike on the bus to make the 11k slog a hella lot easier.

If I can't get my bike on the bus I might park my car outside the big tunnel (Nagano side of Abo Pass) and ride in early early morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowConnection:
Some call the route between Kamikochi and Tateyama, Japan Haute Route. It takes four days expedition (mid-April thru late-May). Did you try it?
I hiked this route last summer over 6 days. We tented the entire thing and so had big bags with food.
It would be a really cool winter traverse although might be a bit much camping and carrying everything

Talked to a guy who skied Karasawa while we were there, he said they closed the winter (snow-covered) route between Hontani-bashi bridge up to Karasawa, so now you have to go up the summer-route. Took him about 2 hours up.

I think this is the company running the shuttle buses up there:

http://www.alpico.co.jp/shuttle_center/info/

They also run taxis, maybe that's another option if the buses are a no-go.

If we make it up will PM you for sure.

There was massive avalanche debris above that bridge during the later part of GW

I imagine the river is starting to open up around where the bridge is. They take it out in the fall and replace it with boards. But in the spring it is a suspension brigde.

But as for the taxi I am both poor and cheap which is why I tent instead of staying at the huts. I'd rather ride my bike through the tunnel than pay for the taxi.

I don't think it would be a problem putting a bike under the city buses I usually take to get in there

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

Did you feel really hardcore walking through the masses in Kamikochi?
on the way in it was pretty sparse, just saw mainly the monkees and a few other hardy types. hiking out we chatted with a few tourists, yeah I think they were pretty surprised. can imagine it is alot more crowded on the weekend..

surprisingly it was pretty comfortable hiking in our snowboard boots. I was worried about how it would hold up, but no probs at all.

I was hiking through there during GW. Around the kappabashi bridge it was really busy. Most people wearing nice clothes.

I've also crossed that bridge after 7 days in the bush smelling really ripe and looking all grizzly. Funny to come out of the mountains to crowds like that.

I hiked that in my skimountaineering boots. So probably inbetween ski boots and teleboots for comfort. But no way as nice as snowboard boots I bet.

I took a 100-yen-coin-sized piece of skin off my ankle hiking a mere 4km in my snowboard boots. It's stopped me from going out this week. sadglass.gif

Riding beats hiking down by miles. Its much faster, it's much more fun, and its much easier. Hiking down is also what usually causes muscle stiffness in your quads.

That doesn't sound too nice Mr.Wiggles

Where were you going?

I had the starting of blisters under my big toes. They were huge as well. About 100 yen size but they never popped and stopped rubbing as soon as I put my skis on for skinning

Blisters suck poo though. Best thing to do I find is to just build up the scar tissue.