• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to Snow=when? is Now! \:\)

28 cm is forecast over the next 3 days at Happo, and presumably other parts of Hakuba. (17 cm at Nozawa).

Fuji is white to nearly halfway down.

And this site http://weather.crc.co.jp/index.html with a long-range weather forecast suggests heavier than normal precipitation for the next 3 months (though higher than normal temperatures - let's hope it's not rain).

Mighty cold in Suwa today too. Could a first day out in early November be a possibility this time? eek.gif

It wont be going yet.

The earliest big resorts plan to open on the 23rd.

That is 3 weeks away.

Let's be (maybe) realistic in thinking that the current snow is the usual pre-season fall, and that things will not be open for another few weeks at least.

Quote:
the usual pre-season fall
Oh, you mean the usual pre-season fall! The one that always comes pre-season, and then what, evaporates? :rolleyes:

Some resorts have enough people pretty much onsite and can start whenever there's enough snow. And they will. Simple as that. Some are already running lifts for hikers and tourists. If it snows, what, you think they'll stop the lifts?

Well, that's Niseko for you. :rolleyes:

Nozawa had nearly 2 metres in mid-November last year and was open right from top to bottom.

This year, Happo has 120 cm and is ... open today.

So I have to wonder what all this realistically 3 weeks away and in Niseko blah blah blah is all about.

Get your gear out barok. Let's hope it stays the way it is.

I don't think Nozawa is the best example to use, as it is village owned and operated - making it easier for them to do that. If indeed it is true.

Hakuba 47 is open just for the 3 day holiday (well today only actually), and Happo a tiny part is open. Will that be open every day from now? (I don't know).

One of the points here is that there may/will be some exceptions - perticularly in the famous places - but most resorts in the country will probably not open earlier than planned.