You know how some places have those water sprinklers in the road (you know the ones that are usually set just to sprinkle all over pedestrians?) - I presume they clear a lot of the snow in places that have them. How do the places without them cope? Hakuba don't have them, right? But I've never felt that Hakuba has more traffic problems than somewhere that does have them (eg Yuzawa).

confused.gif

Hakuba has a couple of heated sections, I think. The steepish curved one going up to Wadanomori for example. The car park at the 7-11 and at the new Rapie have hot water sprinklers. Hakuba has four main sources, but isn't overly blessed with onsen water. The onsen baths sometimes run out on very busy days.

Clearing the roads is good business for the construction people who would otherwise be idle along with some of their dozers. A lot of the blokes go out without waiting to be called. 10cm and they're off out.

Btw, if anyone with a questionnaire asks you in Hakuba about traffic, please tell them that you think it is fine. There is the very real prospect of a dirty great highway being built through the valley. The proposed budget is something like 5,000 yen for every single person in Japan.

Those sprinklers are a PIA!!!

Spend time and money on educating people that snow covered roads should not be driven at the same speeds or in the same way as normal roads and on snow clearing machines and people.

I personally think the sprinklers ruin the pristine setting and quietness that a snowstorm can bring! They make the place look dirty!

Spraying warm water sounds like a good idea, until another car drives through a pothole in the road and instantly turns you windshield into a layer of ice. This happen to me twice the first time \i saw these things it scared the s*@t out of me. Good for a adrenaline rush that got me through the day.

A few weekends back, onsen-ed & changed into dry clothes for the drive home... then got blasted by the buggers in the Naeba Prince car park.

Got to admit they do seem to work at keeping the car parks clear though.