FEATURE: An In-Depth Look at Pine Ridge Resorts Kandatsu

Some new Features - reviews of Pine Ridge Resorts Kandatsu - have been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-83.html

"In January, Pine Ridge Resorts invited some lucky SnowJapan.Com readers to visit their Kandatsu resort in Yuzawa (Niigata) to check out the slopes and the new facilities at the resort. They wrote about their experiences at the resort - and those reviews can be found below...."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-83.html

--------------

The two reviews can be found here:

REVIEW BY MOGSKI & BADMIGRAINE:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-85.html

REVIEW BY TYLER BURDEN & NICK LAMBERT:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-84.html

--------------

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

I haven't been, but it's kinda refreshing to hear that a resort is being positive and has some energy for change rather than this down down down miserable attitude there seems to be generally. Hopefully it will catch on!

Nice interesting reviews. Some misc things I remembered are:

*Early-season pass is pretty cheap (eg <3man)

*Food is great, but there is almost no no-smoking areas

*They are pretty anal about off-piste riding

*Would be much more interesting if they opened up more of the surrounding terrain. Offering Tomamu-style guided tours to the BC would be pretty fun, I'd think. It's actually not that far from the backside of Mitsumata, if you cross a few peaks. Hiring someone to do intro avie courses would be an interesting experiment.

*Free and frequent shuttle buses are fantastic

*Always wondered why they don't do night-hours. Would love it if they could extend hours to 8 or 9 pm.

Yeah very anal on off course stuff.

We went again last week and were yelled at for riding in the trees off to the left of the top double. Perfect lines not under the lift, just off to the left of it and we were yelled at and told to get back on course. We of course didn't.

Didn't put it in the review, but Kandatsu, loosen up with in bound territory!

Interesting.

Actually I was there with a friend a week or so ago and we really liked it. It was a weekend so not so busy. The place is like in a bowl shaped and so it does avoid some of the winds of other more exposed places.

One thing we did notice was 2 idiots who thought they'd try boarding down underneath the far left quad - which is very very steep. We saw them ducking the rope, then the next lift up 10 minutes later they were about 20 meters further down and in big big trouble. Patrol had to go and "rescue" them - it took more than half an hour, you could see it all happening just riding the lifts.

Some people may be able to do that (obviously some people on here) - but the majority of people cannot, and that is why the places are no go areas and I completely agree with the policy.

One more thing those 2 idiots didn't seem to get passes pulled just asked not to go there again.

(The okonomiyaki was really good)

I always wondered about the thinking behind running a snow park at resorts, especially in terms of comparision/contrast with off-bounds riding.

*Is it any more/less safe then riding off-piste?

*How does the resort (eg Kandatsu) regulate it?

Those would be some questions I would like to ask a manager there.

• SnowJapan Admin

The new management at the resort are very keen to hear ideas and comments and we will be showing any comments to them. (Perhaps we will run a Q&A style thing with the management at the resort soon.)

In the meantime there will be an interview with one of the management at the resort online early next week.

Bulbfish

That area that you talk of is one of the areas I wish Kanadatsu would develop and make ridable. All they would need to do this is mark the hazards, provide a run out and place a warning sign at the top advising "ride at own risk". This area is a definte rideable area should a little control be shown from the resort and the ownous put back on the riders. It is done in many places in the world.

Also, how can Kanadatsu patrol allow an huge fracture in their slope to go untouched in terms of avalanche control for so long!! If that slope went so too might the Gallery House. Please do a little more than roping it off. Perhaps some proactive controls instead of reactive controls?

Yes I am.

Last Sat when we were there the fracture was almost the lenght of the ridge and about 1.5mts wide and as deep as the fallen snow. Kandatsu had closed off the entire area but that seemed to be all they had done. There was no-one checking for stability or sending a groomer to fill this in. Nothing. Just ropes to stop people from going.

Obviously if you don't want people going there thn one would assume there is some kind of imminent danger. This you would hope would be an urgetn safety issue that should be addressed as opposed to yelling at people for not being on the course.

We also saw similar fractures off to the right of Orion course as you look from the Gallery house. WHile these are higher than the resort and out of immediate bounds, a slide from one of these would penetrate inbounds. Again nothing was done.

All very interesting, looking forward to seeing what the management dudes have to say too.

I went there a few years ago and felt it looked sad, kinda neglected, many of the restaurants weren't open. Like many resorts I suppose.

Took a look the other week and thought the place did seem to have a renewed feel about it which can only be good. Lets hope we see more improvements as well.

One thing I felt was there were less moguls than when I had been before, and they seemed to be in designated areas so to speak. (For me, this is a good thing!) I don't know whether that was just when I went or normally like that.

Fantastic job by SJ to get resort management to open the lines of communication with forum members. Too bad I have never been to Kandatsu or I would have happily participated. Let's see how this one goes so that hopefully the experience can be repeated.

We should have an interview (conducted a few weeks ago) with one of the managing partners of Pine Ridge up online tonight.

We will continue to try and get other resorts to communicate as well (- something that is harder than you might think.... or maybe not! ;\) )