5-days?

Haven't seen any resorts in Japan that could keep you busy for 5 days (unless its snowing the whole time!), so I say head west my friend!

Jackson Hole, WY

Blackcomb/Whistler BC

Salt Lake City UT

Lake Tahoe NV,CA

all excellent places to spend a week...of course, I haven't really thought about cost issues from japan...but thats not important, right debee??

danz

Do you have an international drivers license? you can hire a toyota "fun cargo" for 8000yen for 1 day so for 5 i would assume it would be cheaper. if you are hard up for cash you can always sleep in it too. they easily accomodate 3 people plus boards/bags etc for a day trip but two would be max to sleep in

danz - would love to but 5 days aint enough time to factor in the flight time, plus it is a tad and a bit more expensive.

I dont even have the international licence, my Oz licence expired whilst I was here, now I have to return to oz one day and renew. grrr.

This has really got me stumped. Japan, the land of snow, 600 resorts etc and I cant find one honshu resort that would be suitable for a 5 day trip?

At this stage I am thinking either the 3-4 resort set at Myoko Kogen or the Hakuba ensemble.

Why dont you give Nozawa a go for a few days and then if you get bored you can always get on a train to Nagano (1 hr) then bus to Hakuba (1 hr?) and voila! More mountains to ride. Ditto with Hakuba for 5 days and then do it in reverse.

And chill about the onsens mate! You dont know what you are missing out on. If you are so nuts dont stick your face in (I wouldnt) and then have a good wash afterwards. Nothing better than a post ski onsen and a beer. Or 5 cool.gif And the floaties at Nozawa are just the silica deposits, makes you skin feel soooo smoottthhhhh

Wow, deebee, i have the same problem. I'll be travelling to Japan from Hong Kong just to ski, and I have 6 full days... my first criteria is of course the size of the mountain, and whether it has any other slopes linked to it.

I've picked Hokkaido for the snow, so that sort of narrows down the "island". In Hokkaido, there are several large resorts, and Niseko has been ranked quite high up at the top from the rankings at Snow Japan. After looking at the resort map at Niseko, (http://www.niseko.gr.jp/map-e.htm), it looks good for a 5 ski-day trip plus a half day or full day of sightseeing. That's my view \:\)

Eriond

yeah, Niseko would ahve been great, but the expense ruled it out. I then diddle-daddles around for so &^#$%$#% long that I couldnt get accomodation at any of the places I wanted to go to. (accomodation that meet the requirements for this particular trip, my xmas present to myself, ie no shared showers and bunk rooms). This has meant I ended up booking a far more expensive trip than I wanted and may aswell gone to Niseko in the end. However I am going locally, so I will get 5 straight days on the snow with minimal travel, something that I am very very much looking forward to after many one day trips requiring a total of 6 hours travel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...