Can someone tell me when Cool Biz officially starts this year?

I want to prepare my short sleeved shirts and shorts. Don't want to be late, certainly don't want to be early!

Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the date, but you should get rid of all of your cool biz clothes now, so that you can take advantage of the abetastic tax increase when the date does roll around :thumbsup:

And perhaps you can buy a tie with a picture of Abe gambaru-ing on it, but make sure you pay extra tax for that one just to show your support of abenomics.

Good thinking surfarthur --- already done that to prepare.

That's why I'm so concerned about knowing the date.

I suppose I could jolly well just go out and restock now and be ready for whenever it is.

Can't be waiting until the tax rises to a fab-doubledigit-tastic 10%, sadly.

Yes waiting for 10% just seems really silly.

I can buy now and take advantage of the current 8%, and then once it rises to 10% I can jolly well re-stock once again. And use the '8%' ones as dusters.

Though on second thoughts it would be best if bought new dusters.

This was from May 1st. Starts early, eh?

TOKYO —

The government on Thursday launched its Cool Biz campaign again this year. Cool Biz, which will last until Oct 31, encourages workers to dress down, ditching their suits and ties for open-necked, short-sleeved shirts. It also encourages offices to turn down air conditioners to set office temperatures at 28 degrees Celsius.

The temperature in Tokyo was 25 degrees at 2 p.m., and though some government employees adopted the Cool Biz look, most could be seen still in suits and ties.

Cool Biz was started in 2005 by then-Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi with the aim of reducing CO2 emissions and electricity use. It started on June 1 each year until 2011 when it was brought forward by a month in a bid to conserve electricity after worries that there would be a power shortage following the March 11 disaster.

Once again this year, the campaign goes one step further with Super Cool Biz, in which polo shirts and aloha shirts will be promoted as office wear, beginning on June 1.

In all seriousness now, it's nothing like Honshu.....definitely cooler, but it does get a little humid over summer, for maybe a week or two. Right now I'm still wearing jeans n a coat to work, whereas in kanagawa I'd be in shorts n t-shirt already.....so it's not THAT humid, but was relatively muggy :)

It's more like the best of summer days back home......for a longer stretch of time. If you get a chance I'd come up in July for the fab beer gardens in Odori park in the centre of town.....sit in the sun and guzzle some beer

(Outside of winter of course)

In all seriousness now, it's nothing like Honshu.....definitely cooler, but it does get a little humid over summer, for maybe a week or two. Right now I'm still wearing jeans n a coat to work, whereas in kanagawa I'd be in shorts n t-shirt already.....so it's not THAT humid, but was relatively muggy :)

Shorts n t-shirt to work? :omg: Surely not!!