I wonder how this summer will be here, according to everyone I have spoken to here air conditioners are not needed, and in fact hardly any houses have them here.

Apparently it is not humid in summer here, just a dry heat and gets chilly at night even in August!. I so hope they are right, but the trouble is Japanese level of not humid and chilly is very different to mine. We shall see once summer arrives. For now though still enjoying winter all all the snow we have and winter foods.

Where are you in Kobuchisawa? I love that area, such an amazing variety of mountains in a reletively small area! Are you near the station and expressway, farther up towards Yatsugatake or more down in the valley? I know Kofu is extremely hot and humid and last summer I walked from the 20 in Hokuto up into the mountains and the valley strech in the sun was brutal. Up towards Yatsugatake is not nearly as bad.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never been here in any other season but thought I might start #1 The snow consistent and light compared to other countries #2 Easily accessible from Perth (where I live) with minimul time differen

#10 Boots

To get back on topic. I love snow covered old style Japanese houses like in Shirakawago and the crystal blue skies on a clear winter day

I wonder how this summer will be here, according to everyone I have spoken to here air conditioners are not needed, and in fact hardly any houses have them here.

Apparently it is not humid in summer here, just a dry heat and gets chilly at night even in August!. I so hope they are right, but the trouble is Japanese level of not humid and chilly is very different to mine. We shall see once summer arrives. For now though still enjoying winter all all the snow we have and winter foods.

Where are you in Kobuchisawa? I love that area, such an amazing variety of mountains in a reletively small area! Are you near the station and expressway, farther up towards Yatsugatake or more down in the valley? I know Kofu is extremely hot and humid and last summer I walked from the 20 in Hokuto up into the mountains and the valley strech in the sun was brutal. Up towards Yatsugatake is not nearly as bad.

Im a bit down from the station but close by.

Kobuchisawa is spread out but compact at the same time with lots of individual villages having there own personality.

I am looking forward to getting some hiking and climbing in this spring to autumn period.

• SnowJapan Admin

Ido (well) and pump system sprinkling water up from 50m undergrood to the roof of the house and around the sides of the house. No snow build up at all. And the way it knows when to turn on as well, it's very clever. I like that.

• SnowJapan Admin

They went down 52m I think with the well, and there's a a sprinkler system of tubes (set in the concrete at the front) that goes around near the base of the house, with some going up the side to the roof.

A little sensor on the side of the house that looks a bit like this

1349375004.jpg

...munches on the snow and tells the system when to turn on.

We can either turn it on/off manually or have it turn on automatically which is what we have been using most of the time.

1349374986.jpg

We can adjust some settings that help it decide when to to turn on/off - things like how many snowflakes are detected per speficified time period, the period of time to use, temperature outside and (I think) temp of the snow. It's pretty spot on most of the time actually.

You need a seperate electricity contract/box for it.

Wasn't cheap doing all this but I'm glad we decided to install it - never had any snow build up on the roof or around the house all winter.