• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Niseko.   Because.

now there is an idea.I have never been but IT guy at cubs school (who takes the prep ski trip in Oz each year) spends every Dec/Jan in Innsbruck. Exactly that reason - he is a ski nut....Mrs is a non

Which Ski area would you spend a winter season with your non-skiing/boarding wife?.......and why?

Can be anywhere in the world

I can't think of any good answers to that one offhand.

What does the non-skiing/boarding wife like to do?

Hi Metabo - Mrs SJ likes browzing shops (hopefuly not buying to much), walking/hiking, meeting people etc so a decent size village would be a bonus.

She likes the alpine environment, just can't come to terms with sliding on it.

Whistler..... Rent her an apartment in Vancouver and she'll be plenty busy while you spend alternating days between Whistler and Blackcomb. Meet up for dates on the weekends... :thumbsup:

I've never been, but somewhere like that sounds like a good idea.

I suppose I kind of live in a ski area anyway. And Mt Granview looms large over the valley. Sounds good to me, that!

If the choice is anywhere in the world, I'd go to the Swiss Alps. Good skiing and enough for the wife to do during the day. (note, I've only been their in summer, but based on travel shows the skiing is good, and enough non skiing activities to keep the missus happy)

If the choice is anywhere in the world, I'd go to the Swiss Alps. Good skiing and enough for the wife to do during the day. (note, I've only been their in summer, but based on travel shows the skiing is good, and enough non skiing activities to keep the missus happy)
100%

Zermatt.

Lift access and walking trails to practically everywhere a skier can access. Ability to meet on the mountain at any number of places for a meal/drink, and to sit in the glorious sun drinking in the view as your skiing mate whizzes past. Ski up bars are the SHIZZ!

Village of good size with a vast array of shopping, museum, ice skating...

Sledding able to be done on dedicated sled piste off the Gornegrat rail.

Grindelwald/Jungfrau region.

This could potentially be even better.

I loved the beautiful quaint village of Grindelwald, loads of shops. Sport center with pool.

Grindelwald First mountain had a fantastic flying fox between gondola stations, and also did sledding/sled bikes on dedicated pistes.

Gondolas are conducive to plenty of foot passengers enjoying the environment.

A short train ride away and you can head up to the Jungfraujoch - the glacier up close took my breath away and I stared at the layers in the ice in the ice castle until PB dragged me away. Fascinating stuff.

Little bit further on the train and you are at Interlaken - big city stuff. She could always do a day in there if the snowed in lifestyle at Grindelwald/Wengen is getting too much.

In a previous life as a tour driver in Europe I got to spend a bit of time in the Grindelwald/Jungfrau region. Beautiful part of the world, and so set up for making the most of the area whatever the season. Jungfraujoch is well worth the trip, been there a number of times and each time it took my breath away, amazing place. Interlaken is great, just keep away from the watch shops, way to easy to overspend.

Interlaken: population 5,504

Zermatt: population 5,786

Both sound a bit small to entertain a non-skier for a whole season...

Even Geneva has a population less than 200,000...

Vancouver and Denver might be a bit more promising with populations around 600,000.

But really, Tokyo would be hard to beat. Sapporo could be a good runner-up.

Even Sendai would probably have a lot going on, with a population over 1 million.

Or, possibly, Kyoto? (Probably better for the wife than for the skier, actually, but could conceivably work.)

Sapporo could work but I figured SJ would've known all about Sapporo cos he's been to Hokkaido a fair bit

Munich is a cool city near to the German Alps.....dunno how close to ski resorts tho

Vienna?

Salzburg?

Turin?

Interlaken: population 5,504

Zermatt: population 5,786

Both sound a bit small to entertain a non-skier for a whole season...

Even Geneva has a population less than 200,000...

Vancouver and Denver might be a bit more promising with populations around 600,000.

But really, Tokyo would be hard to beat. Sapporo could be a good runner-up.

Even Sendai would probably have a lot going on, with a population over 1 million.

Or, possibly, Kyoto? (Probably better for the wife than for the skier, actually, but could conceivably work.)

Ah..........2.3 million in the greater Vancouver area which is really what we're talking about...not Vancouver metro. Hell, there's 600,000 Chinese alone..... :sj-lol: Same goes for Denver....except the Chinese part probably.... Also, I doubt Mrs Junky is proficient enough in her Japanese to confidently navigate her way through Tokyo or any of the other Japanese cities for that matter. It's always a hurdle for me and I've been here for ...umm....a while.

And Mr Junky doesn't have to ski Whistler/Blackcomb everyday. There are also Grouse Mt., Mount Seymour, and Cypress Bowl overlooking the city.

Hi folks thankyou for all the suggestions.

Chriselle - Your idea on Whistler/Vancouver could be a goer - we spent 3 weeks in Whistler village in 08 and Mrs SJ filled in the time with some snow shoing, sledding, gondy riding etc without getting bored. Having 100 restaurants and plenty of shops helps. Having said that, a season there could wear a bit thin even though she is also happy just sitting reading a good book........... as long as there is wine! So having a Vancouver base sounds a good idea. We only spent a few hours ther on the way in to Whistler and also on the way out to Calgary but it looks ther would be plenty to do there

One Hunga & M Bear - two thumbs up for Zermatt, Grindlwald/Interlaken/Wengen - we have spent some time in each and along with the Jungfrau trip described by you both are some of the most amazing holiday memories. My only problem with an extended stay in Switzwerland for an extended stay is that it is more expensive than most other ski countries. - Hmmn :confused: Innsbruck maybe?

De Griz - ha ha - I don't think so - one is enough.............................................unless I go to Salt Lake City :confused: .

As far as doing the season in Japan - that would probably be my first choice but unlikely as Mrs SJ has never been to Japan and is not real good with languages.