• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the UK is gonna get some mother in law smooches from this week....

Big freeze is on the way

Britain is set to plunge into freezing temperatures with heavy snow showers next week.

The cold snap will begin on Sunday in Scotland and is expected to spread southwards, bringing snowfall to parts of England and Wales by Wednesday.

Severe wintry weather could bring widespread travel chaos on roads and railways and at airports across the country.

A PA WeatherCentre spokesman said showers were expected to turn into snow in Scotland on Sunday, spreading south by Monday morning when freezing temperatures will hit northern England.

By Tuesday, there will a risk of heavy snow showers almost everywhere across Britain, the spokesman said.

But temperatures are likely to drop even further on Wednesday with the cold blast from the Arctic, falling well below zero degrees Celsius in Scotland.

Heavy snow showers are most likely to be seen in Scotland and north-east England on Wednesday, and there will be a "severe and penetrating frost" across Britain overnight.

Temperatures in Scotland will struggle to remain above zero and could plummet to minus 10C midweek.

The spokesman added: "I don't think people should be dusting off their sledges just yet, but it does look like a significant cold snap at the start of next week."

It was not yet clear how long the cold snap would last.

A spokesman for AA Roadwatch advised motorists to take extra care in freezing conditions, and to allow extra time to warm up their vehicles in the mornings.

Extreme wintry weather last January caused havoc on Britain's roads and railways and caused severe disruption to flights

COLD in Perth today.

I am tempted to pull out the thermals I never needed on snow this Southern season, that are packed ready for Japan....

As PB would say..."Colder than a Mother in Laws kiss!!!"

Um it still got up to 20 degrees in Perth yesterday. This is what you guys in WA consider Colder than a Mother in Laws kiss? The mean maximum temperature for Perth in September is 20.2 degrees so it was a completely normal day for this time of year...

COLD in Perth today.

I am tempted to pull out the thermals I never needed on snow this Southern season, that are packed ready for Japan....

As PB would say..."Colder than a Mother in Laws kiss!!!"

Um it still got up to 20 degrees in Perth yesterday. This is what you guys in WA consider Colder than a Mother in Laws kiss? The mean maximum temperature for Perth in September is 20.2 degrees so it was a completely normal day for this time of year...

Actually it never hit 20 in Swanbourne, nor Mandurah (where I was for most of the day), and the recorded apparent temps were often in single figures.

For whatever reason the wet and wind of Perth at 13 or 14 degree's is bone chilling, while I can walk around in Thredbo in a tank top at 5 or 6 degree's with the sun shining...

Believe me GN. It was Cold as a Mother in Laws kiss! :lol:

Only gonna reach 21 today in Sapporo....it's a lovely day

It's a beaut of a day today. And, the first snow fell up on Asahidake last night! And it's payday tomorrow, so I'm going to get my K-Pass this weekend. Happy days.

Asahidake this morning:

med_gallery_11253_201_609127.jpeg

Actually it never hit 20 in Swanbourne, nor Mandurah (where I was for most of the day), and the recorded apparent temps were often in single figures.

For whatever reason the wet and wind of Perth at 13 or 14 degree's is bone chilling, while I can walk around in Thredbo in a tank top at 5 or 6 degree's with the sun shining...

Believe me GN. It was Cold as a Mother in Laws kiss! :lol:

Ah yes it only hit 19.4 in Swanbourne and 19 in Mandurah so I can see how chilly it must have felt!! :p

The wind has been very cold, at least it seems to have been to me, regardless of the max temp. We have had our heater back out after not using it for a month or so, and we are using our electric blankets again.

Funny how we all have such different ideas of cold, for me cold doesn't start until it gets in the low single digits, anything more than that is cool really.

And then we have some Australians here needing heaters and electric blankets on when the temps are way above freezing, I would be melting if I had a heater at those temps.

But the wind can make a difference as to how cold it feels as apposed to how cold it really is.

Certainly more comfortable here now,getting down in the low double figures every night now although the days are still quite hot, but without the humidity and lower temps it is ok even during the day.

Can't wait until I actually need to wear more than just a T-shirt on top!

Snowdude, I am a lover of cold...hate the heat, and do quite well in the snow. Usually people are standing around in two layers of jumpers and shaking their head at me in a tank top... but this was unusual...

Temps were about half a degree higher today, apparent temps quite a few degree's higher, but it was very comfortable - in fact not cold at all tonight pool side...whereas last night I had those uncontrollable shivers. The wind is Perth is nothing short of a game changer.

what i found when I was in Oz, was that in winter it got cold when the sun went down, this coupled with the fact the houses didn't appear to have any decent insulation meant that the houses were cold as well. So in Adelaide, winter time day temps could rise to low 20's but then fall to below 10 overnight.....that drop can feel pretty cold. I worked nightshift in a factory and all the locals would come in wrapped in scarves and coats etc complaining of the "frost" on their car (it was dew!!), me and my brother were in shorts and t-shirts! :) Perth was similar to my experience in Adelaide

Yeah it always makes me laugh when people in Perth complain of cold weather. I mean on the day that MB is freezing her nips off, a day that got up to 20 degrees, here at the southern tip of mainland Aus we only got up to about 13 degrees with strong winds and rain and I didn't feel that cold at all and we didn't have any heating on in our house. Not many places in Aus that get anything close to what I would consider cold.

When I went to pick my daughter up from piano class her teacher said to me oh its cold now at night isnt it? I actually said where is it cold? She looked at me puzzled and said Kofu of course.

I said you must be joking how even at night it is Tshirt weather for me.

Japanese are just as bad it becomes cooler suddenly and they think winter has arrived.

Get to 1st of September and suddenly they all say it is colder. The day before was roasting hot but because it is now 1st September suddenly in one day it is colder even though the temps were the same.

The problem with living in Perth is we don't dress for the cold we think we can walk around with t-shirts on with windchill at around 8C if I was somewhere else I would have been smart enough to put a jacket on. Anyway our blood is thinner because of the high temps so we feel the cold more than people with thicker blood.

Sounds good don't know if it is true though

The problem with living in Perth is we don't dress for the cold we think we can walk around with t-shirts on with windchill at around 8C if I was somewhere else I would have been smart enough to put a jacket on. Anyway our blood is thinner because of the high temps so we feel the cold more than people with thicker blood.

You can.....its not uncommon to see people doing that back home......they wear a scarf :lol: (I'm not joking)....and all is ok ;)

Snowdude......I heard a few people speaking like that on the train today. I'm still wearing shorts n t-shirt to work, its cool in the mornings for sure but still perfectly comfortable, a young couple behind me were wrapped up in coats etc and they commented on what I was wearing and how "cold" it was........I really thought I would've left that shite behind when I moved to Hokkaido!! :)

You can.....its not uncommon to see people doing that back home......they wear a scarf :lol: (I'm not joking)....and all is ok ;)

Snowdude......I heard a few people speaking like that on the train today. I'm still wearing shorts n t-shirt to work, its cool in the mornings for sure but still perfectly comfortable, a young couple behind me were wrapped up in coats etc and they commented on what I was wearing and how "cold" it was........I really thought I would've left that shite behind when I moved to Hokkaido!! :)

Yeah it sucks doesn't it! You would think that Hokkaido people would be used to the cold with the very cold winters they get, Tokyo people I can understand, but people from Hokkaido!

Yeah it always makes me laugh when people in Perth complain of cold weather. I mean on the day that MB is freezing her nips off, a day that got up to 20 degrees, here at the southern tip of mainland Aus we only got up to about 13 degrees with strong winds and rain and I didn't feel that cold at all and we didn't have any heating on in our house. Not many places in Aus that get anything close to what I would consider cold.

If it makes you feel better GN it maxed at 20.6 today and I was sweating (and running the car airconditioner!) :lol:

It was bizarre a few days back.

I don't normally feel the cold. But it was an evil wind.

Make up all the excuses you want MB but we all know you're soft ;)

:lol: you cheeky barsteward :lol:

Yep...so soft I've done two kickboxing sessions and a weight session with torn intercostals this week.

And outside, in the rain, with no jumper.

STILL reckon it was fecking freezing earlier this week ;)