13 members have voted

1. 1. Hakuba or Niseko?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really recommend Yeti, even over Hakuba. But really Killington is where the hardcore types should head.

Get the wimmin to do the fetching....

Hakuba is the best.

Hahaha!!

Good luck :)

They are the 2 most famous Internationally resort areas.......there have been millions of too-ing and fro-ing flame war threads over the last 10 years or so. I suggest delving through the forums, resort sites and read what people have said ????

^ wot he said.

Whichever you choose you will have a ball, be hooked and come back for more - probably to many and various locations through Japan.

Enjoy the journey.

Whichever you choose you will have a ball, be hooked and come back for more - probably to many and various locations through Japan.

Enjoy the journey.

Seems to me that lots of people go back to the same place many times.

That just seems such a waste to me.

Unless it's Mt Granview, of course. ;)

Enjoy the journey.

Seems to me that lots of people go back to the same place many times.

That just seems such a waste to me.

Unless it's Mt Granview, of course. ;)

Depends Wizz.

I know people who go to each place they visit once - never getting familiar with one place. They love it.

I also know people who go to the same place every trip - same airline, same ski-jo, same accommodation, everything - they also love it.

Each to their own.

We have a mix.

Home mountains are Thredbo and Niseko United (for a myriad of reasons), but also mix it up with trips elsewhere for variety and experience.

Yeah I agree Hakuba is the best anywhere in Honshu.

Just stay away from me.

I am happy to go to the same place every year and ride the same lines if needed same as surfing in the same spot if it is good why go look for somewhere else that may be average.

Ski,

I am a slow through recon for the first time; play about at a medium pace the second time; get adventurous after that, kind of girl.

That means 3 runs through most places before I am feeling comfortable - which will mean that I get bored of new places relatively slowly.

My first trip to Zermatt was full of uncertainty and heart in my throat moments - it was 3 weeks long, snowboarding with broken ribs, and I was an intermediate.

I got a LOT more out of my second trip. Again 3 weeks, happy to go anywhere, confident to tackle the place, knew my way about and really had a fantastic time.

I was reasonably tentative in Hakuba because I didn't really know my way around.

Niseko I know intimately now, and so I can get there and head right to where I am pretty sure conditions will be at their best for the conditions of the day.

I am the same with Perisher and Thredbo.

I don't get the best out of Perisher because I don't know it well.

Whereas I can read Thredbo fairly well now and head to my favourite spots when the conditions are right - and the enjoyment is sublime.

I don't think it is as cut and dried as adventurous and not adventurous.... I have ticked off quite a few new places since taking this lifestyle onboard about 6 years ago, but the familiarity of the well known 'home mountain' is also very very nice.

I can understand what seemore is saying.

If you are the kind of skier/boarder who is 100% switched onto a place in the first run, then I can see that the security and enjoyment that comes with familiarity might seem strange to you.

Oh I can sort of understand it too.

I just think it's boring, a bit of a waste and definitely somewhat of a shame that people are so blinkered. (Perhaps for want of a better word!) ;)

Not my money or time though so.... dozo!

Just cause he loves niseko so much doesnt mean he doesnt know some mad secret runs and wants to keep them secret.

He showed me some shit hot niseko secret spots