Hey all you snow lovers out there, hope the season`s going well so far. Got back from Niseko on Tuesday night, was there for 3 days. It was a fun trip overall but unfortunately the "united gelande" didn`t live up to its reputation(or was it my high Hokkaido standards?). \:\( Perhaps I was expecting too much, especially with all the rants and raves I`ve heard from people like you? Anyway, here`s a jist... Day One: Caught the first ski tour bus from Shin Chitose Airport and headed straight for Niseko Annupri. Arrived shortly after 12pm and was up on the gondola a little after 12:30(got so excited my buddy and I stretched and changed on the bus). The weather was cloudy and it wasn`t snowing. The snow on top of the mountain was still powdery with the occasional bumps but it got worse as we made our way down. We ended up spending most of our afternoon on the very top of the Annupri side, eating up what`s left. But the snow up there eventually got really bumpy and icy and it got pretty foggy too. Day Two: Got up early and did some nice carves on the nicely groomed slopes before somebody else got to them, but no freshies. Bad news! That medium sized kicker at Annupri f**ked me up bright and early. I strained my already delicate right knee as I got a little too greedy with my jump and landed wrong...I was in panic mode! Gathered enough strength and made it down the hill. Rested a bit by the gondola and stobbornly headed up again(I will not be denied!). When I got off the gondola that`s when I saw a group of 4(?)foreign dudes. They all looked like they were ass-kickin` boarders and at least one of them had snow shoes on his back. Could they be SJ members I wondered but I was in too much pain at the moment to be in the mood to strike up a conversation(which now I regret cuz after that I didn`t really run into anymore gaijins). Hey Sam&Drew, were you guys among that group? Thick fog rolled in rather early, by about 11am and I reckon the top half of the mountain received very poor visibility. I totally got lost on my way to Higashiyama area! Took an exceptionally long lunch break due to the poor weather condition and my recently acquired injury. Finally hooked up with my buddy around 1-ish(he got lost too)and started exploring Higashiyama as much as we could and our conclusion was...this place sucks. The courses looked much better on the map than they actually were. The layout didn`t seem to be geared toward the fun factor and the snow was so very bad. We opted for the Limited course in hope of salvaging what little powder there may be left but had absolutely no luck. They shut down the Higashiyama Gondola(didn`t even have the decency to post a sign or something)and everyone was forced to line up and use the world`s most uncomfortable and slow Prince Gondola! Needless to say my second day bombed. Day Three: We headed straight to the Hirafu side, hoping things would turn out better and in a way it did. It started snowing but we also experienced pretty dense fog up on top. After a few runs in Alpen and Kogen we switched to Hanazono in search of that infamous "Strawberry Field." We never did find the trail, though. Where the heck is it, damn it?! Hanazono was pretty fun and I gathered up enough courage and tried out the mini board park they had set up at the bottom. On a side note, one of the ponies in front of the bottom lift bit my friend on his thigh, thinking it was his feed(my friend was wearing brown pants)! Now that was a Kodak moment! \:D We started making our way back around 3pm but by that time the fog on the top got SO THICK and the worst blizzard I`ve ever run into(anywhere)came down on us. To make things worst because it had suddenly got so cold(at least -15 degrees)even the powder on top had turned into hard, icy stuff. I swore on several occasions I thought we might not be able to make it back to camp and catch our bus to the airport. I mean, literally you couldn`t see a damn thing. So many times I felt like I wasn`t sure whether I was standing up boarding or sitting on my ass! Obviously we were finally able to make our way down safely and even had time to enjoy a quick soak. Well, it wasn`t the best boarding trip...I`ve had much better luck with Sapporo area, but it`s definitely something my buddy and I will never forget. Board safely everyone! \:\)

You wasted your time with the PASSPORT crap. I just stick to HIRAFU.

How can you judge the ability of someone by the stuff they have and the way they look???

if thats the case then all Japanese boarders/surfers must be pro!

I can see why ppl get dissapointed with all the hype surrounding the place I would say almost nowhere in the wourld could get hyped that much and deliver - I also wouldent consider annapuri and higashiama worth visiting on a trip less than 2 weeks long - head straight for hirafu/alpen/hanazono. Better luck next time!

SOunds like you struck a bad patch, but you kind'a started it off yourself by going to Hirafu last! You shouldn't have wasted your time at Annupuri and Higashiyama!

BTW I know where strawberries is, but becuase you did not invite me I am not going to tell!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
You wasted your time with the PASSPORT crap. I just stick to HIRAFU.

How can you judge the ability of someone by the stuff they have and the way they look???
if thats the case then all Japanese boarders/surfers must be pro!
Oh, I don`t know...my gut instinct? ;\)
I figured chances are no beginner/poser would even bother carrying snow shoes with him. To be honest Annupri wasn`t all that bad. They`ve got enough powder on top(and you can hike up more if it wasn`t for that big crack they found earlier this month)and the middle is good for doing some carves. Even the area toward the bottom can be fun too(a bit short though). It was not the easiest thing for us to just hop on over to Hirafu b/c as I posted earlier we stayed at Hotel Nikko Annupri. \:\(
 Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
i did tell you - its written right there!!!
Is that where it is? Man, was I fooled. I totally thought the entrance is up on the top! But it was SO foggy that`s why I thought I couldn`t find it.

I skied Annupuri on Monday and got sweet turns all day. Hirafu obviously offers more accessable terrain, but on a 3 day weekend you'll be enjoying that terrain and lift waits with all the weekend warriors.

Both Annupuri and Higashiyama have great runs if you know the mountain. Lots of locals are also abandoning Hirafu for the more moderately priced season passes of the lesser known Niseko resorts and the more laid back powder days where you don't have to fight for 1st lifts/ 1st tracks with every over powder hound.