A new topic on an old topic...

Airline where fat fliers pay more: Passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram

Head of Samoa Air said that it was 'the fairest way of travelling'

Under the new rules passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram

Passengers put their weight into online booking section of the Samoa Air.

Samoa Air has started to charge passengers for a plane seat according to how much they weigh.

Under the new model passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram for the ticket price, which varies depending on the route length.

Head of Samoa Air Chris Langton told Australia's ABC Radio that it was 'the fairest way of travelling.'

There's some seriously hefty Samoans out there!

I don't have a problem with a fly by weight charge if it includes person and baggage with a reasonable price per kilo equally applied.

If there is an 'under the amount one price, over you pay exorbitant $per kilo' it is not fair.

Remember it is not always a 'fat' penalty. There are a lot of muscle bound 6ft plus sportsmen that will weigh a fair click.

Generally women will get a better deal than blokes - how do you feel about that - discrimination based on gender? Or all good?

Then you have the issue of fitting in the seat.

If they are mahousive they need 2 seats, a business seat, or a special sized seat. This pay by weight doesn't address this problem. What if they book out the plane and then discover that 10 passengers butts are so large they can't fit in the seat.

I think charging by total weigh, ie pax plus bags is the way to go if done correctly (ie my way).

Instead of a weigh limit for your bags, apply the limit to bags plus pax. Set it at a reasonable limit, say 110kgs. If you and your bag weigh more, then excess fees apply. If there is a group of you then the limit would be number of pax times 110kg. Maybe set a different limit for infants, kids and teenagers.

Still doesn't get round the issue of some people actually being to big to fit in an economy seat, but then those people need to go business class, with the bigger seats.

If heavy women pay more than light men, it's not based on gender!

The missing information is that Samoa Air uses lots of little planes like Cessna's so people's weight is a bigger deal for them. This may not be coming to an airline near you soon!

If the cost of fuel is a big issue for airlines, then yeah people who need more lifting should pay more than those who need less. Whether it's muscle or fat is largely irrelevant.

Indeed, weight is the factor, not gender or BMI.

But Mamabear makes a good point about people who ``spill over'' into the neighboring seat. That shouldn't be allowed.

Buy a second seat, but then divide the weight by two, so if you're 140kg, you buy two 70kg seats.

I'll bet the weight difference between passengers has a negligible effect on fuel costs......this is just another way for airlines to charge more to the customer

I'll bet the weight difference between passengers has a negligible effect on fuel costs......this is just another way for airlines to charge more to the customer

If you're talking about large planes, then probably not, if you're talking 5-20 seater planes, ten yes. Think about how a small 1.6L engine car goes when you add a Devon or third person when labouring up a hill.

PS, I used to work with Boeing and airbus on weight reduction program's where they were trying to shave 40-50kgs from the wings. This weight saving over the life of the plane would have an estimated saving for the airline of somewhere between $100-250k USD.

I dont think it'll do that much for odour spillage WVS.

Worst stench flight I took was a skinny dude joining our journey to London in Hong Kong. He was seated elsewhere but moved after take off to a row of 4 spare seats in the central block, three rows in front of us. He lay down and went to sleep the entire way to London - trumpeting loudly the entire way. The stench filled the entire cabin. I put tiger balm under my nose to mask it! :lol:

I think girlfriends who are slight (and sexy) should allow boyfriends (such as myself) to be able to bring back loads more beans, HP Sauce, chocolate, Picallily and Heinz Sponge Puddings.

It's only fair.

Last month I flew to Bali and had Garlic man behind me (he reeked of Garlic) and Fartman in front of me (he kept dropping these foul farts) lucky it was only 4 hours but it wasn't pleasant