March Manoeuvres - the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd

Just seen that pic of the paragliding. I thought you meant in the "green season", not now!

:veryshocked:

:lol:

Really want to try that run out.

I was sat on tera firma and it scared the crap out of me. They run about three meters and blam! straight up about 100 meters into the air! Just sitting on the pair lift up to the top gave me vertigo, i cant even comprehend the absolute terror of being shot up into the sky like that.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was at the pair 6 lift (great restauarant called panis down there by the way). Its not that busy an area. That being said though, the whole mountain just isnt that busy. But its kinda obvious theyre playing the long game. I really expect them to merge with ryuoo next season or the one after (i mean x-jam and ryuoo already seem to have some kind of working relationship) and throw out a serious challenge to shiga, nozawa et al for when the new iiyama shink opens. Exciting times in iiyama over the next few seasons.

Looks like fun. This is another one of those places that doesn't run the top lift during the week, right? It's definitely my kind of slope :) Thanks for the info!

Not 100% sure. I was chatting with a dude on the lift and he said the words "they usually open this [the top lift] on the weekends". I didnt think to ask about the rest of the week. Pity if it doesnt because that back line is great fun. I was all ready to declare the main face as the jewel of the area, but that back bowl is great fun. In a drop its likely off the hook.

If they don't get more people to go, there won't be a long game to play for.

I highly doubt Ryuoo will be joining them. And it's not connected anyway, though that's not the reason.

So is the Makinoiri open this season or not?

Is that closing this season part of the long game they're playing you reckon?

I have no idea why its shut to be honest. Could you access it from kijimadaira last season? I was looking for a way in, but the only one i saw were a bunch of kids climbing up a steep tree line about 3/4s down the bowl to reach one of their lifts.

Makinoiri is sort-of connected with Kijimadaria.

It was closed for a few years but opened up for the "grand opening" of Mt Kosha. But it obviously didn't work so good because they closed it for this season again.

You can see it here

2013gerende.ph.jpg

I mean x-jam and ryuoo already seem to have some kind of working relationship.

Don't know about that.

X Jam has a 'Macearth' relationship with Madarao and Kurohime Snow Park.

Top lift just open on Saturdays, Sunday and holidays.

Makinoiri resort area closed this season after starting up again last season when Mt Kosha started.

I remember someone complaining about this last season (or the one before that). Good information to have before heading there!

Yes it really nulls out any interest in the place.

I see 'Mt Kosha' very much as a damp squib rather than something that is going to challenge Shiga Kogen. See the empty slopes, top lift weekday not working and 1/5 of the area closed this season as just some pieces of evidence.

If they don't get more people to go, there won't be a long game to play for.

I highly doubt Ryuoo will be joining them. And it's not connected anyway, though that's not the reason.

I know theres a bus between the two. Not sure how often it runs. And you can switch out tickets on black box. So figured they had some kind of working relationship. And i assumed they might try and work together to pull more people away from the bigger areas and offer a more compelling ticket. I mean a choice between myoko, madarao/tangram, shigakogen, togari, nozawa, and "kita shiga kogen" (kosha plus ryuoo). Definitely a decent pull.

Numbers werent too terrible though, most people stuck with the central runs down it and when you throw in the competition racers and rentals for downhill poles they seem to pull enough to keep going. Its a nice place. X-jam does reallllllly well though. Millions of people there. Yomase seemed a bit emptyish, the hotel i stayed in had only 3 other people in it. Yamabiko no oka (is that its name?) was also fairly empty. Again, a really nice quiet little line though.

Still, once the shink reaches iiyama then youll have a fair few more people and i think thats what theyre banking on. They just need to make that ticket more attractive (or at least try and publicise it a bit more - ill happy add my endorsement of the place... i thought it was great even though the conditions sucked).

Makinoiri is sort-of connected with Kijimadaria.

It was closed for a few years but opened up for the "grand opening" of Mt Kosha. But it obviously didn't work so good because they closed it for this season again.

You can see it here

2013gerende.ph.jpg

I did suspect that part of the reason was that it lacked a proper connection and was a bit out of the way. I reckon those kids were directly climbing it exactly where the G is. If im looking right theres a tiny path about twenty or so meters higher up that curves around, i assume thats the path connecting BACK to kijimadaiara though so probably uphill? I guess that makes it sorta poachable, but honestly the walk back looks tedious... Pity. I would have definitely gone there to check it out if it was open. And theres probably a few things worth riding there since it looks like a tiny less extreme version of kijimadaira. Ah wells.

• 6 months later...

Gonna be down in Niseko this weekend. Weather looks a bit sketchy though, high winds on Saturday (seems to be a common theme this winter!). Hoping to hit Chisenupuri before it closes for good at the end of this season.

Really? Why is it closing?

The land is owned by the army, and I guess they just don't make enough money to justify running the ski jo? The daypass + onsen + lunch ticket is dirt cheap, and they don't get many people visiting.

From those on the know, can it be confirmed that Chisenpuri has closed permanently?

Edited by sevenbeers