March Manoeuvres - the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd

its a traverse through the golf course. Its probably the one place youre likely to unclip. I made it by the skin of my teeth and a bit of bouncing on some pretty icy conditions. But its not actually too terrible. Its also really well sign posted. Ill try and take a picture tomorrow of it (ill be busy trying to keep speed to stop, mind you).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the way home now.....report to follow tomorrow but a pretty cruddy day all round tbh. Always good to get free tix of course, but conditions were never gonna be great after yesterday's rain. Shoganai

It snowed all day, ranged from big fat flakes to polystyrene balls......the problem was the ice from yesterday's rain....the wind blew all the new snow off the top runs

On the way home now.....report to follow tomorrow but a pretty cruddy day all round tbh. Always good to get free tix of course, but conditions were never gonna be great after yesterday's rain. Shoganai

Good job TB! :thumbsup:

Ippy, the place on the Iiyamaside, that's closed isn't it?

Makinoiri I think it was called.

What was the extra 1000 yen for?

I must have screwed up the black box. They said it was only one day on the mt kosha pass. But i wanted both days so had to stump up the extra. Ah, machine translation! :) I did think it was kinda awesome they were only charging me 500 yen for the kosha ticket. Oddly they said it was 3 resorts only without it. I dunno if that just means you can ride everything up to kijimadaira or not? Either way paid the cash... who minds?

And in snow news, its seriously dropping out there. Went to the onsen, had a few cms of the snow from the day sitting in the road but kinda cut up from feets and cars. Came back, my tracks are completely gone. Did a small depth test (poked my finger in the snow) and its about 3/4s the way up my index finger. Pretty neat. Whats that? About 6cms? If you add on the snow throughout the day we may even find the courses repaired by tomorrow morning (snow is still tipping it down).

Day here at Kusatsu was a bit of a bust. Only the bottom quarter of the resort was open due to the winds. Thanks to the rain last night the two runs that were open were very icy. Got a little better as the day wore on, mainly because so many people in a small area, all using the sides of their skis/boards to turn. Eventually a small amount of snow covered the ice. Wind still very strong, so tomorrow may not be any better.

Yay! first tracks! Well... wont be since im going to type this... but nice to head out there before 10am.

Anyways... snowing out there. Unfortunately it pretty much stopped last night about twenty minutes after i typed the whole "yay! snow!!!" post last night Probably only a couple of cms extra, flakes are looking good though, and completely grey skies, so should be okay as the day goes on. Hopefully the crud has a spot of cover.

stupid me, uttered the famous words last run (i immediately reminded the gods i only meant THIS run, it was my penultimate run), but it seems they only take your first answer. Not a terrible fall, but powder just jammed shut, took a header and ended up biting my tongue. Bleh. Other than that though, fun day. Bit exhausted and can feel the influenza building up. Gonna be a tough day tomorrow i reckons.

Got to ride the top chair for kijimadaira! Thats a steep ass face. ooooh, and they seem to hve a legal in bounds version of tanuki chutes. Thats kinda awesome. Its pretty much the same damn run. Alas the death cookies were all over the lines off the top making the going tough. Hit a few of them at speed, almost clattered into a tree as well, bounced off the cookie, tried to regain traction but it just wasnt locking, and by sheer luck flew between two pretty tight trees before being able to halt it. All in, good day. Top lift makes the whole kosha thing a bit more legit and a bit less cute.

Got to Alts Bandai today! Not a bad little trip - no real deep powder, but a little bit of fresh among the trees and some nice fast cruising along the groomers which look to have had a little bit of a top up over the last day or so.

Pics honestly dont do it justice. Its really fekkin steep. Im thinking about the ultra-natural and wondering how the hell those guys are riding a 50 degree slope at the speed theyre hitting it and also dropping mad air on it. Terrifying stuff. Only a couple of times was i happy to let the brakes off and not just throw out short arc half skidded turns.

PS. Somewhere blowing about kijimadaira is 20,000 yen. Goddammit! :angry:

Heres a couple:

gallery_10042_281_146544.jpg

gallery_10042_281_490646.jpg

Its basically the very very top part. It gets kinda windblasted there. But check this, it has a massive paragliding operation up there. Brilliant stuff, looks scary as hell though. OOOOOOOOh! and the early bird season pass for this season (before august) was 19,800 yen.

If you wanna ride the other montains its 500 yen extra.

Did i mention the legal on piste back bowl? About 2/3rds the length of tanuki but loads of ways to approach it. Conditions this weekend obviously werent the best to venture off the central line but still... pretty impressive. Pity though that when the top lift shuts down theres next to nothing to do unless youre a downhill racer :) The rest of the runs are pretty soft.

Nice pics Ippy. That second one is almost giving me vertigo. :sj-lol:

Ity wasnt deliberate, but you can see its slightly angled and needs to be twisted back a few degrees. Then again, were it correctl you really wouldnt recognise the steepness of it, so let this stand as an accurate depiction of the line, whilst simultaneously being a massive lie. :p