Anyone ever do it for a job?

It must be so distressing.

I don't like being rude but somethings the only thing they take to shut up is being a cold and rude.

NTT and the phone companies seem to be some of the worst culprits here.

Arrgghh.

Wow...flashback! I did back when I was about 19. I lasted about a 4 hour shift. Never went back. I guess I should be more sympathetic but after they complete their spiel I then hand them over to my wife for them to say it all again. That may sound dickish ...but they really don't leave you an opening to say "no thank you".

There was an awesome spoof on the net a while back -- almost certainly fake, but wonderfully entertaining -- the callee pretended to be a police detective investigating a murder at that place and tied the caller up in a fantastic web of accusations, etc. ROTFLMAO stuff that will take you at least 1% of the way to feeling sorry for the phone sales guy.

I have a cure for that I just say to them iranai and put the phone down simple as, when I get some sales spiel that is of no interest to me.

They never call again.

And it stops them from talking.

In Aus, we have a "do not call" register, my numbers are all registered there and they are breaking the law if they call me. I remind them of that fact and hang up.

Do not call doesn't stop them.

I recently had an autodialler constantly calling me - up to 15 calls a day.

They pretended to be Telstra calling about an overdue bill. I am not with Telstra!

Calls started at 5.30am (obviously working in Eastern Daylight Savings time!) but were from a private number.

In the end I put an official complaint in with my carrier and it stopped.

Do not call registers don't work. There is no enforcement and no punishment for the perps. And the sods doing it are only doing a minimum wage job.

What I do is just say: "thank you, no thanks" and hang up.

I give them a chance by saying "not interested" once or twice, but if they persist I just hang up in the middle of their wounded protestations that surely I must be interested in their deal on platinum futures, dodgy real estate transactions, or cheaper long-distance service, if only I would hear them out on the details.

In a way, the phone companies are the most irritating ones, because those calls are from nominally reputable companies, but they act just like the other fast-talking sleazebags.

I've never had this over here.....mind you I wouldn't understand them even if I did. I used to get cold callers to the door....Jehovah's, newspaper sellers, milk, yoghurt (WTF?!)....I was always polite. A firm "thanks but no thanks" as I closed the door

I am a bit like Metabo -but if they disregard my "not interested' more than once I don't hang up, I just say "oh that does sound interesting but I am busting for pee but I really want to hear more - I'l be back in a tick.

Go have a coffee, feed the dog, whatever - the record for them hanging on so far is around 4 minutes.

It's their money.

Wonder how much these dudes get paid.

One thing in the UK that gets my dad is when the support staff is apparently speaking from the Indian countryside.

His hearing isn't perfect, and a strong Indian accent sure doesn't help.

I really hate it when their accents are clearly Indian and they introduce themselves as Emma, Helen, Wayne or John and say something about how wonderful the weather has been lately....as if they are not in a call center in Mumbai or Delhi!

How about a bit of honesty!

And my phishing calls that I thought had stopped...

They're baaaaaack!

5 calls today starting at 5.28am

BASTARDS!

I really hate it when their accents are clearly Indian and they introduce themselves as Emma, Helen, Wayne or John and say something about how wonderful the weather has been lately....as if they are not in a call center in Mumbai or Delhi!

How about a bit of honesty!

And my phishing calls that I thought had stopped...

They're baaaaaack!

5 calls today starting at 5.28am

BASTARDS!

Something that you could try below, maybe

I know this has worked well for some people....I as yet have not had phishing calls to try it out though, only dopey sales calls.

"Phishing calls are illegal, and I have recorded all of the calls from you and reported your telephone number to the police"

Hey Snowdude, great suggestion...and I would...except...

They call on a private number and I have not actually talked to a human being - ever.

The first call was a 5.30am wake up, I was on about hour 4 of sleep and am currently on the road back from an auto immune condition so I need EXTRA sleep, not less. I was dopey, answered the call in a panic and then upon hearing the instruction to PRESS 1 to continue, did.

I've done a little bit f research and it seems the auto dialer gets thousands of people at once and directs people who press 1 to the next phase of the prerecorded spiel. I think they get information from you 'to confirm your identity', and may end up in a live person, but certainly not in the beginning.

Since then I answered the next few private number calls, and they were the same, so I hung up.

Then I just let a few ring out. Now I am rejecting every private number call (and getting a nice little log of exact times they called in the process).

But they don't give up!!

Next step will be the telecommunication industry's ombudsman...