Virus/internet security software

OK as I have just uninstalled my Norton 360 (it was expiring soon anyway) in order to get something else working, time to think of what I need.

What virus/security software do you use on PC?

And, is it true that it ain't as needed on a Mac? Or is that a fairy-tale?

:)

I have previously had Norton and Kaspersky but have been using AVG for the last 5 years and consider it more user friendly and competent than the other more expensive programs.

The free version is excellent and the reasonably priced upgrade better still.

Find it here - free.avg.com

+ another for AVG - free has worked for me for around 5 years or so, has started to get a bit bloaty, but!

I diable link checking, because I'm too impatient to wait for it to go through the checks for a google search, but it still is the goods imo.

If you need anti virus for Windows, try Microsoft Security Essentials.

Works well, I install it on all the PCs I "build" and have never had anyone get a virus.

I use Norton on my computer and have used it for many years now, and Dr.web on my Smart phone and find both very effective and easy to use.

Trouble is with free ones, although they may work well and stop most of the viruses, spyware, etc, the number of virus definitions that are downloaded on to the software tends to be limited as does the firewall functions.

With anti-virus software paid is certainly better as you get more from it.

Free ones also generally don't have antiphising or malware protection on them, which is something that is also required these days.

You should also have an anti-virus installed on your smart phone too, if you haven't already done so.

Dr.web light, which is free is good for smart phones as a general firewall and anti-virus, it is very memory friendly and simple to use.

Although it doesn't have the ability to remotely block your phone if it is stolen, or to be able to remotely delete all data in case it is stolen.

The paid version does, as so does Norton..

I use Norton on my computer and have used it for many years now, and Dr.web on my Smart phone

You need this stuff on your PHONE?!?!

:lol:

I'm going to go 'free' on my pc because I'm hopefully not going to use pc much from soon.

Can't wait.

I use AVG and my wife uses Avast (both free)

I have never had an issue in 10years wife has had 2

and I have frequented a few dodgy sites

Like - 'The Royal Family at Home"?

• 6 months later...

:lol:

McAfee's crazy, in a weird way.

Fixt for ya!

Norton is massive Bloatware (and not particularly effective either) and a right PITA to remove.

McAfee is almost as big, and almost as useful as Norton.

Back when Peter Norton actually owned the program, and wrote the code, it was the duck's guts of AV software. Since Symantec has bought it, Norton has gone downhill! :grandpa: