Buying a car/driving a car in Japan NON residents

Curious and wondering if those who have been there, done that before can advise of the pitfalls and possibilities.

If someone was coming on a working holiday visa could they purchase a car in Japan?

If so, licence requirements? Is it just an international licence?

Other things I should know?

I had a thread on this in around feb or march if you want to have a search for it.

The general vibe of the thread was its not worth your time or $ but if you have a parking spot available to you which you probably will that makes it a whole lot easier.

Thanks Goz!

I thought I would be reasonably simple because a mate did it a few years back. I just wasn't sure if the car was bought in a residents name or not (he had a mate living there who looked after the car when he wasn't around). Probably won't bother, but good to know.

From when we looked into buying a car:

A) driver's license

B) proof of parking

C) regular visa (not tourist)

D) proof of driving at least 1 year after getting license in the issuing country.

There may have been something else, like loan guarantor or something.

how can you prove you've been driving for at least a year in your home country?

To change licences over, I thought it was a minimum of 3 months driving in your home country

Don't they have the date you acquired your licence on it?

Havent looked at mine recently.

True. That'd be hard to prove.

2nd bearcub had to log x number of hours over 6 months to get his licence - 3 of those months he was in Japan not driving, practically had to re-teach him everything when he got back.

MB who'd you buy your place through? If it's one of the major real estate companies in town they'll be able to assist you with everything you need. They've will have done it plenty of times for other owners.

so really only means length of time from passing to entering Japan.......not actually driving

Not even Japan.

Ok, um let me rephrase it.

You have to show you have completed one FULL year of driving in your home country after obtaining your license.

The onus is on you to prove it - so no passport, no license.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that it's only the length of time.......there's no way for them to check if you've actually been driving. So you could pass your test then not drive for another year, come to Japan and show them your passport and licence and get a Japanese one.......right?

Yeah but what I'm saying is that it's only the length of time.......there's no way for them to check if you've actually been driving. So you could pass your test then not drive for another year, come to Japan and show them your passport and licence and get a Japanese one.......right?

Yep, thats right. And if you're British, and some other countries, you don't even need to take a test. ;)

To get my drivers license I only had to prove that I had a valid license issued in my home country three months before arriving in Japan. However, I had an expired license and a certified translated drivers abstract showing when I was first issued my license and that worked fine.

Also, no test, only had to watch a video, answer some really strange questions, and wait around for them to process my photo...

Of course, Tubs. In fact I know more than one person in Japan with perfect ``driving records'' and GOLD licenses -- because they haven't actually driven a car in 30 years!

This would be a fairly unusual species, however, of individuals living in an environment (such as Tokyo) where public transportation is so readily available and reliable that there's really no need to own a car and fairly strong incentives (cost, especially) NOT to.

Exactly the same situation for me as Black Mountain. I did take pleasure in watching my American friends take the driving test, fail and take it again while all I had to do was the 5 minute interview and watch the same video as BM. :sj-lol: