• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not much of a swallowing sound.... can't be that good.

Looks like post coitus bed head.......to me.

So, who is the snob? and why?

I'll admit that I prefer a coffee to have a decent hit of caffeine. So, starbucksu, and most Japanese coffee outlets are not on my radar.

That said, however, I can say that Doutor do a reasonable coffee, and there are a few places we've found (which we'll keep to ourselves!) that are better than average.

In their defence, it has to be said that the Japanese coffee experience must have been heavily influenced by the American "invasion" after the war, and so they don't do good coffee (because yanks generally don't do good coffee either) if Starbucks and Maccas (the general stuff, not McCafe) are any guide.

Yeah I got the set for around 18000 yen.

It included 16 capsules, so I'll taste them all before choosing what to order more of.

My BIL went big and got the top of the line Nessy with the premium wood case set of pods. We tried a number of the different blends but quite honestly .... I had a tough time distinguishing... :wakaranai: Impressive machine and display for sure.

Mr Wiggles.... I just got the Aeropress and made a cup of cappuccino with a frother my wife picked up.... damn it makes a GREAT cup of coffee. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love mine. I use it upside down so omit the stirring bit and save washing a spoon.

I buy beans and grind them fresh, but buy the cheapest coffee possible. Usually under 1000 yen a kilo.

Just been looking at that Pixie coffee machine.

Silly name aside, it looks really cool. Might give it a go.

THe best thing about it is the lack of cleaning required. Just rinse it through by prssing the button again. Vey simple. I've had expresso machines before and they're a major pain to clean. Spesh if you're only making one cup.

I think wvs is talking about civet cat coffee - the civet cat eats the coffee berries, and craps out the beans, then they are roasted and brewed. I am not sure how wvs got onto that subject though.

• Like 1

"The secret of this delicious blend," enthuses the Indonesia Tourism Promotion Board, "lies in the bean selection, which is performed by a luwak, a species of civet cat endemic to Java. The luwak will eat only the choicest, most perfectly matured beans which it then excretes, partially digested, a few hours later. Plantation workers then retrieve the beans from the ground, ready for immediate roasting."

"The secret of this delicious blend," enthuses the Indonesia Tourism Promotion Board, "lies in the bean selection, which is performed by a luwak, a species of civet cat endemic to Java. The luwak will eat only the choicest, most perfectly matured beans which it then excretes, partially digested, a few hours later. Plantation workers then retrieve the beans from the ground, ready for immediate roasting."

I seen those in Bali at a coffee plantation in the mountains but wasn't game to try the coffee. Anything made from boiled shit just doesn't seem right.

The act of boiling should kill any germs though, right?

Meanwhile, I'm with Mantas on this - Enough places get away with serving shit coffee without going out of my way to find some!