Tunnel Collapse - is everyone OK?

Here's some insightful comments by people on one of the shitty 'news'paper sites

"Japan is one unlucky country. I think I'll refrain from visiting".

"You couldn't pay me enough to live in Japan"

"Payback for the dolphin hunt?"

Here's some insightful comments by people on one of the shitty 'news'paper sites

"Japan is one unlucky country. I think I'll refrain from visiting".

"You couldn't pay me enough to live in Japan"

"Payback for the dolphin hunt?"

That's awful!! >.<

But I suppose it is a WIN for us then, we don't have to worry about that type of person coming to Japan and spoiling it for us - who know better and love Japan!

I don't know if any of you guy were around for that tunnel collapse up in Hokkaido where a bus and another car were pancaked by a huge slab of falling concrete. I think it was about 15 years ago or so. Ever since that I pick up speed in the tunnels. I really hate going through Tokyo and getting stuck in the tunnels in traffic. Makes the imagination run a little wild.

I remember that one, Chris. Also the infamous Nihonzaka tunnel accident, with more than 100 cars burned.

Not being an engineer I've no idea what the purpose could be of a suspended ceiling of huge concrete slabs in a heavily trafficked tunnel, but... :wakaranai:

The Nihonzaka accident must have been before my time...or I'm just going senile. ;)

So...I wonder how we are supposed to get around this messed up tunnel business. I imagine it will be some time before it's deemed safe to travel again. So...In the mean time...?? :wakaranai:

On July 11 th 1979, around 18:40,down line of the Tokyo-Nagoya highway, in Nihon-zaka tunnel , at the place 400m inside from the exit, a Fire disaster related to the collision of vehicles(4 big trucks and 2 small passenger cars) broke out and the fire expanded to the following cars. Due to this disaster, 7 persons died because of the fire of the cars, 2 persons were injured, and 173 cars were burnt...

google is your buddy

I don't know if any of you guy were around for that tunnel collapse up in Hokkaido where a bus and another car were pancaked by a huge slab of falling concrete. I think it was about 15 years ago or so. Ever since that I pick up speed in the tunnels. I really hate going through Tokyo and getting stuck in the tunnels in traffic. Makes the imagination run a little wild.

I remember that one. It was a coach load of kids going to the Sapporo snow festival and their coach was crushed by a giant rock the size of an apartment building.

That particular tunnel always bothered me when I drove the Chuo. Never understood exactly why, but it really creeped me out.

Curious. Think it through and let us know why!

Is this tunnel collapse going to affect my bus trip from narita to hakuba on the 20th dec or will we have to go the long way around? If there is one?

It very well could as both routes (east and west) are closed right now. However, with the volume of traffic that uses the Chuo I can't see them having it closed for that much longer.

Is this tunnel collapse going to affect my bus trip from narita to hakuba on the 20th dec or will we have to go the long way around? If there is one?

Ask the people running your bus.

For the Shinjuku-Hakuba route, Alpico say they think it'll add a delay of twenty to sixty minutes when heading from Hakuba to Tokyo.

They are going to update their timetable to reflect it.