• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great fun. We had one in tiger world in korea. The run up was way shorter, so air time was enough to get out a spin (or in my case a half spin) if you have no technique. More than that and you need to know what youre doing. Had one epic slam on one of them when i approached the lip and completely bailed on what i was about to try. Ended up side ways and face first. Definitely a great place to get comfortable with air time though. Ryuoo has one if you ever fancy checking it out, though last time i went the lip was ominously far from the jump itself and conditions were pretty slushy. Poor maintenance that day, otherwise i would have spent the 1000yen (i think thats how much it was for a full day on it) and bounced about until i felt comfy. (plus the fee puts off the park rats so its all yours and some dude who shows you up every time he triple corks :p)

From what I am hearing, Shiga Kogen resorts generally are balking at anything that costs anything this season.

Some strange stories going round.

The official Shiga Kogen english website has been abandoned as well - they don't think it's worth it apparently and with their cost cutting, that's what got the cut.

Wouldn't expect much new in SK.

From what I am hearing, Shiga Kogen resorts generally are balking at anything that costs anything this season.

Some strange stories going round.

The official Shiga Kogen english website has been abandoned as well - they don't think it's worth it apparently and with their cost cutting, that's what got the cut.

Wouldn't expect much new in SK.

Wow that is so dissapointing - is it just the english language version website that is down or the local one as well? Also dissapointing as it was an easy to navigate comprehensive site

Hard to imagine they are doing it tough as friends of mine (hi Roscoe) had trouble recently getting accommodation in Ichinose next Feb.

I don't think the numbers of english speakers that were actually coming to SK could justify running an english website as well. Not that I mind, because I enjoy being in a foreign country with locals.

I think the customer service could be better though. There are some hotels that never reply to your emails, whether you write in japanese or english, while the lack of nightlife is a killer for most people (not me).

Ichinose is the most popular part of Sihiga Kogen, and but a fraction of the total.

Mid February is peak season, you would expect them to be somewhat busy then.

The ridiculous thing is, they could have left their English site up and just updated any info that changed... surely not much.

But, no, take the whole thing down.

Some owners I know are right pissed with the kanko kyokai.

I have actually heard similar.

One dip last season and they give up.

Rubbish.

Not really surprising. It would be typical of some oyaji in power who was pressured by open minded juniors to expand to an I yer national audience then baulk with an I told u so attitude when it didn't increase profits instantly!! Dunno if that was the case, but these things take time to get the word out there

i always wonder why nagano has absolutely no international presence. The only rational conclusion i can come to is that once you get past tokyo/kyoto and maybe nara, everything else has its own stunning areas so the japanese government cant really bring themselves to promote one part of japan over another internationally.

I cant fully articulate the first day i arrived in my nice new city with 4 times the people than the city i lived in previous (hamamatsu), only to find there was almost zero atmosphere to it outside of the tsukebe district. The place is dilapidated. And its a massive crime. Theres so much you can do in this place. All it needs is a nice international friendly hub. Instead you have a city center thats faceless, lacking any trace of modernity, and is filled to bursting point with snack bars and hairdressers. Bloody weird town to be honest... ive still never quite gotten over it.

Out of interest, ippy, and a serious question.

Even with some modest development, why would someone choose that place over the other many hundreds of other beautifully located places in Japan?

That's the problem I think. There's just so many places and choices that you really need something extremely special to stand out.

That was my first paragraph. But devils advocate...

Altitude. not only is it strikingly beautiful, but it has mountains that get great snow in winter, and mountains that stay relatively humid free in summer. The whole place is an action sport/golf extravaganza waiting to happen. It also doesnt hurt that its beautiful on top of all that. Its got great hiking, fishing, cycling, golfing, mountaineering, adventure sporting, and of course skiing/snowboarding on top of all this. Its an all season place for anyone interested in a bit of adventure. It also has some decent history and the rather gorgeous zenkoji temple to give it a bit of class ;)

Oh and its also not that far from a couple of international hubs (tokyo/nagoya).

Theres a crap load going for it.

I'm sure it's lovely ippy but what you just described could be a fair few places.

Any idea how much money is involved in creating an action sport/golf extravaganza tourist destination that can compete with the hundreds already in existence?

is that a hint of evasion i sense? :p If we're having a discussion isnt it fairer to also promote instead of attack? Isnt it nicer to instead show why such and such a specific place has an equal claim to those funds and promotion rather than to suggest that its not that unique with an implicit assumption that it doesnt have a strong uniqueness to it :)

In answer to the second point i would agree. Everything has its own criteria of what makes it worth the trip, but a couple of questions might be a) whats the market for that? and B) is it sufficiently grand to warrant national rather than prefectural backing? Doe sit have a clear identity that can be tapped into on a scale that an international tourist would want to go out of their way to come here? I think Nagano has that in spades. But i might be entirely alone in that, so lets test the hypothesis :)

OK OK, it's not as if I have a job to do.

How about this why not tell me why it is better than Yuzawa and Myoko, to take two local examples that come to mind here in Niigata.

These are places that have already been 'developed' so are not starting from scratch.

Both tick pretty much all boxes you mention:

Beautiful.

Hiking

Fishing

Cycling

Golfing

Mountaineering

Adventure sporting (whatever that is)

Skiing/snowboarding on top of all this.

All season place for anyone interested in a bit of adventure.

Decent history.

Gorgeous temples to give it a bit of class.

And I guess both get much more snow too.

Both have real trouble working out how to get people to go outside of winter.

And the 'foreign market' out of winter for both is.... tiny, perhaps smaller than that.

And, they compete with tons of other places in winter, even though they (in particulaer Yuzawa) are extremely accessible.

Big question is. If it indeed has so much potential, why was it not developed when more money than sense was being thrown about.

Youd probably need a time machine to answer that one. But its not like it doesnt have its ugly remnants thanks to the olympics. The m-wave is hideous, and that stadium just outside nagano on route 18 is a futurist carbunkle (as prince charles might say). It likelygot a tonne of cash. And then a hefty bill at the end of it.