That's a t bar Muika, a whole different animal than that stupid little rope tow higher up.

A t bar is much stronger, more forgiving, and able to be manipulated to perform 'tricks' (my best trick is making it to the top in one piece without taking out my fellow rider ;) )

The rope tow is a dicky little bit of line at about knee level with a dangly handle you have to grab as it goes past and hoping that the weak little jerky tug doesn't just make you fall over face first into the snow. RATHER WALK!!!

(my disparaging remarks may or may not be because I could never actually work out how to successfully ride that exact one)

Nah Tubby, from easiest to hardest surface lift I reckon it is...

poma

T bar shared with a good skier

T bar on your own

T bar shared with a good snowboarder

T bar shared with a newbie skier

T bar shared with a newbie boarder

Rope tow

I'd take the poma anytime!!

(snap Arthur)

The one at my daughter's school is like the one in the video but on an actual slope!

I was thinking of some nutcracker type setup for my future ghetto lift. All I have to do is work out how to make the entire thing with a pocket jig, the "perfect tool for every job"! ;)

The rope tow is a dicky little bit of line at about knee level with a dangly handle you have to grab as it goes past and hoping that the weak little jerky tug doesn't just make you fall over face first into the snow.

A handle? The ropetows I remember growing up were just...rope.

What we would have given for a handle. Kids these days have it too easy. :grandpa:

To the original question:

speed_1.jpg

From the Ando Iron Co. website.

Kewl!

So is that a BYO rope tow that you can set up anywhere for your sliding pleasure??

Here are some more pics of their "Amvar" product line:

speed_2.jpgM-3-2.jpgM-3-1.jpgBR-2.jpgBR-1.jpgBR-c%202.jpgBR-c%201.jpgrope_02.jpgrope_10.jpgrope_12b.jpg

Maybe not quite "BYO," unless you're exceptionally gnarly.

A rope tow is easy because it has to be very slow to allow you to hold the rope directly with your hands. A nutcracker - a rope tow with a clip on chain and bar - is more difficult because it moves faster and isn't pulling straight in front of you.

To the original question:

speed_1.jpg

From the Ando Iron Co. website.

Kewl!

So is that a BYO rope tow that you can set up anywhere for your sliding pleasure??

When I saw this photo, I thought he was holding it at first!