Here's a Quicktime vid clip of the Canadian Freeskiing Champeenships held at Whistler on January 11. It's a larger download...the payoff is about 3 minutes of play time including music.

Apparently the conditions were awful. Whistler's snowpack is low this year and everything is hard ice and rocks showing through. Bad light made it even worse... I read on another thread that one of the skiers took a bottle of blue Powerade up to pour on avalanche rubble in one of the runouts, uh to make it easier to see...

A French skier won it all.

The line that Daisuke Sasaki took made me choke on my coffee. Am I missing something, or did he almost die on that rock? My stomach is still in a knot. YIKES!

Canadian Freeskiing Championships, eh

cwmstone2.gif

So whats happening to freeskiing these days? Its not quite old school but its not really getting the attention that newschool is. (possibly its just my selection of magazenes and web sites)

When I watch jib flicks and new movies there is not really anything obvious they could do better - though they still manage it from time to time, but that skiing (while sic and in harsh conditions) could be smoother - more linked together. Does anyone know if its dying like freestyle or just awaiting a few new skiers who can link it all together?

Suicidal behaviour. That 1/4 mile swim down the mountain must have been, um, exciting...

Music? I didn't hear any of that. There was a sort of sub-nirvana racket going on. Is that what they like in that part of the world? I really wish film-makers would try something a bit more imaginative on the sound front. How about wiring the skiers for sound? That'd be cool. I bet matey grunted and oofed a lot on his epic swim. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
...but that skiing (while sic and in harsh conditions) could be smoother - more linked together. Does anyone know if its dying like freestyle or just awaiting a few new skiers who can link it all together?
Have yet to see the clip, but as the Japanese bloke is one of the best big mountain skiers in the world I can tell you that he and his other mates that ski big mountain probably don't want to link turns given that more often than not the slopes they ride avergae out at 50 degrees plus maxing at 80 degrees etc. So I think to call thier turns unlinked is a little ignorant to the terrian.

But hey keep up the jibbin and teach me a thing or two please! ;\)

jared,

I don't think freeskiing is dying. As a matter of fact, it's pretty big in Europe right now.

IMO watching these skiers/boarders in video don't give the idea of the steepness of the slopes they are riding.

As mogski said, these are 50+ degrees slopes. Vertical stuff. Seeing them from the top is a totally different thing...

large_galeriePhoto_234.JPG