This coming season (Jan/Feb) we have decided to travel to and from Narita to the skijo and between skijo's on a Saturday so as to avoid the Saturday crowds on the hill.

We have always traveled midweek before.

Will I find the trains more or less crowded on the weekend?

morning shinks on weekends to both nagano and niigata in winter are pure cluster****s. Id say the niigata one is a darn sight worse though youll be glad to know. The nagano one seems to chill out as you start hitting ueda. Actually it might be karuizawa it starts getting a bit easier if i remember right. Still, by the sounds of it, youre planning on riding up after the mad morning rush, so honestly you should be alright. Probably get reserved seats though unless you really enjoy standing in narrow corridors with forty other people :)

Early on a Saturday on the Joetsu can be pretty awful.

I've been on it at other times when it has been almost empty and then when it has been crowded and difficult to get a seat. Difficult to read.

Madarao Kogen and Shiga Kogen so will avoid the Joetsu

I have a choice of ASAMA to Nagano - one departing Tokyo at 10.24a.m. with only 2 stops (Ueno & karuizawa and the other departing 10.44 with 7 stops.

I presume the express will be less crowded?

I find the Sunday morning shinks fairly decent. Just rock up, buy your ticket and hop on.. Mind you we do leave at around 8.30 or 9.20, so it means by the time you get to Nagano and catch a bus to the mountains, that you'll be looking at 12.30 before you are strapping on. Not such a problem if you are staying for the week...

We'll be catching a Friday morning Asama up this time, but still hope to be on the resort by 1pm.

I've never seen any big crowds on the Joetsu shink at weekends....that said I always ride the early morning one.

EVERY time I have taken an early morning Saturday shink, it has been packed out to the rafters.

Thanks for the feedback folks - I think we will have a leisurly breakfast in Tokyo and take the Shink mid morning. The bus from Nagano to Madarao doesn't leave for Madarao until 2 pm anyway and connecting from Narita through to Nagano to hook up with the only other bus at 10 am is not doable unfortunately.

I've never seen any big crowds on the Joetsu shink at weekends....that said I always ride the early morning one.

EVERY time I have taken an early morning Saturday shink, it has been packed out to the rafters.

I must just be lucky then. I've never failed to get a seat on the early shink, our party is always able to sit together.

I've done both......usually reserve but sometimes We haven't been able to get the deal seats on the train I want so we've bought the reserve tics for the later train and took the early one anyway, using the free seats