After living in Japan I notice it much more, and perhaps even annoy my family back home banging on about it. They are numbed to it and kind of accept it.... which is perhaps part of the problem. People should not accept it.

Like the way you go into a Starbucks or wherever and there's 20 empty tables all of them with cups, trays, sugar and milk splashed about everywhere. A real mess. Looks like they have been in that state for hours, and there's no staff even remotely interested in clearing it up. Even when you call them over to clean it up, they come with a scowl on their face and give it a half-hearted wipe. That kind of thing. It just does my head in big time.

I don't complain about service in Japan, it is generally amazing and puts lots of other places to real shame.

Off topic a bit, but reminds me of how aghast I was at behaviour a few weeks back ... My first thoughts were 'THAT would never happen in Japan'.

I went to Canberra to watch my son in a State Schoolboys Water Polo comp, but the scenario meant I needed to get him something to eat when we got in ...and everything was shut except the 24hr Maccas on the next block, so I went over there. Massive queue due to a local concert crowd and I had to wait about an hour. I watched this guy come to a table (long high bench that would seat maybe 20 people) that people had left thier rubbish on, it wasn't a lot of rubbish, and the bin was pretty darn close. He could have moved it into a tighter pile it of his way easily, or put t in the bin, but no... He demonstrably swept his entire arm across the top of the table sending all the rubbish flying across the floor in every direction. He didn't look around him, or show any expression, and neither did his companions - among them girls.

If this is the attitude in the community, then when we hire our workers out of that community it is no wonder they have no customer service skills.

Been here too long perhaps but, simply can't even begin to undersand that.

You are not on your own Ski.

I swear if that was my kid ... Or if any in is his party were mine and didn't say something .... They could consider life as they knew it over!

Disgusting behaviour.

I was SO tempted to say something, and even more tempted to quietly walk over and pick stuff up and put it in the bin. BUT I was half an hour into the queue, and the ferals in there were never going to hold my place in the queue while I did so.

I would much rather the tinny annoying irashi's than that kind of disrespect ANY day.

So many people back home seem to be pre-occupied with being..... cool, gnarly, attitude.... intimidating.

I'm sure it's always been there to some degree with young-uns, it just seems to be full on now.

Personally I think its a two-way thing.In Japan no one looks down on people doing menial jobs.There are no "burger flippers" in Japan, though plenty of people work for McDonalds and cook hamburgers. My missus once worked at Mos Burger, though I don't think she ever made it to cooking hamburgers.

SnowJapan people I have a good idea.

You should have a "irashaimase" audio clip play when we login! That would be fab. And absolutely add to the "authentic Japan forums" experience.

What's the way out of the mess you reckon, Mr Wiggles?

Listen to more funk! Here's some words of wisdom from Soul Brother No. 1, the hardest working man in showbusiness.

And remember kiddies, stay away from drugs. They are SUPERBAD!

I went to a place here in Perth, Australia, called Sake Bar. When we walked in the door, the bar staff (some western, some Japanese) all called out Irashaimase, was quite nice, good service there too (All the waitresses were young Japanese ladies :evilgrin: )

:evilgrin: There is a hamburger restaurant back home where everyone sings your order back to you. The staff have to sing all the time. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to work there.

The Yamada Denki tune would totally drive me up the wall hearing it constantly every day!

I don't know how people can put up with that kind of thing.

:evilgrin: There is a hamburger restaurant back home where everyone sings your order back to you. The staff have to sing all the time. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to work there.

What kind of songs, BM? Sounds very curious!