Hi everyone

I've booked a 3 week trip to Niseiko in January and although I have my own gear, I am taking my 14yr old son and am unsure on the best approach regarding a couple of things and I'd really appreciate your help.

1. Is it best to hire or buy for a 3 week trip (boots and skis) for my son?

2. What do you suggest for lift passes for 3 weeks to keep costs reasonable? We plan on skiing Rusutsu at least 3 times as well as Moiwa a few times. Should I be purchasing these soon.

3. If we take a share a small apartment with friends, is it best to purchase food/supplies at Kutchan or is there somewhere else you can suggest?

Thanks for any help.

1. Personally I think it is worth buying when you are talking paying hire fees for 3 entire weeks.

However this will be influenced by a number of things...is he a complete beginner? He might decided to board instead of ski...

Is he just starting his big growth spurt? You can always sell outgrown gear on eBay, but these things may influence your decision to buy to not.

2. I suggest you buy Grand Hirafu passes which will keep the $$ lower and particularly for your son he will likely spend out of his time at Grand Hirafu/Hanazono. If you decide to go over to annapuri or higashiyama areas then you can simply buy a points pass to get back over. If worried you might find yourself on the wrong mountain with no cash then buy a points pass and stash it in an ankle pocket or somewhere similar where it won't scan until needed.

Buy passes for Moiwa and Rusutsu when you are there. Often there are promotions with free and half price Moiwa tickets.

No need to buy anything in advance. No cheaper. No need.

3. There is a good supermarket in Kutchan, and you will save money shopping there. Bus or taxi back if you don't hire a car.

However convenience was key for us and Lawson's and Seicomart provided pretty much everything we needed.

There are enough cheap eats out there that you don't need to do much cooking if you don't want to.

Have fun!!

(oh... And it is Niseko, not Niseiko)

you don't need to purchase tix until you get there......unless you are getting some deal for buying before you go. (does that happen?)
No.

Although some of the travel agents or wholesalers market it as if it is a deal and is improving convenience.

It is correct for Aussie resorts as there can be prepurchase discounting and also long long queues at the ticket office.

It saves you no money, and no real time buying in advance in Niseko. I have done it both ways, buying there is fine.

There are a few exceptions, but these are around the early purchased season passes, and IIRC all that required was filling in an application form by a set date, you could buy and pick it up later in the season.

If definitely ski - and not try out board also - I would definitely buy.

Rental is expensive and at end of course you don't have it for next time.

Having your gear also encourages you to go out more.

Like with the gym, I pay for a year rather than every week or every time. Encourages me to go make the most of it. When I was on time-by-time, I gave it a miss somethings partly tired partly saving money partly excuse.

:)

• 1 month later...

Mamabear's post was spot on and I just wanted to elaborate on buses to Kutchan from Niseko. Your cheapest option is to take the "Night Go" bus it only runs in the evenings but costs about 300yen return for one trip or if you are there for 3 weeks get the season ticket for about 500 yen which will allow you to use the bus all season long. (these are last years prices so may have gone up slightly next season)

Its easy you jump on the bus in Hirafu from one of the many stops head to Kutchan, load up with groceries and jump back on a later bus and head home.

There are 2 main supermarkets in Kutchan (max value on your way into Kutchan or the coop by the train station) Max value is probably slightly cheaper but its easier getting back on the bus from the train station.

Yep the season bus ticket is definately a bargain. Most of the tourists don't know that they sell the season ticket so cheap so its normally only people who work in Niseko or are in the know that buy one.