What happens to returned products?

I was talking with a friend last night who bought a PS Vita on Amazon and 28 days later he is returning it for a full refund.

The box was opened and the camera handled but not used.

But it seems Amazon were just fine having it returned (they have a general 30 day policy).

Made me wonder what happens to things that are returned?

If I got something labelled as "New" and it came and had obviously been opened, I wouldn't be too chuffed.

Do they sell them as "almost new" somewhere?

I did a quick search and it seems that amazon in the US has that kind of thing going on but couldn't find anything in Japan.

But not only amazon - what happens to like new returned stuff? Anyone any insights?

It would most likely be sold as new still, provided there isn't any damage to the product. The full manufacturers warranty would still apply, but I know what you mean, it would leave you feeling a bit ripped off, I certainly wouldn't pay full price for an item which had been a store demo, and in effect this is what a returned item has become. On the flip side, you are buying something online mainly because it is cheaper than you can get it locally, so maybe that needs to be taken into account, plus you might want to return the item for a full refund because it doesn't suit your needs, if the retailer can't resell the items that get returned then they will have to start charging a restocking fee, or change their policy on returns.

It is a bit of a catch 22 situation, but I wouldn't be too happy in that situation either. At least if you received an item that had been opened you can return it for a refund and try elsewhere to get a proper brand new one, in an unopened box...

Interesting topic.

I've never actually returned anything myself and not had anything that came in a non-new state, but would not like it.

Amazon in particular do seem to be quite liberal in their return policies.

There's the Warehouse Deals bit in the US:

Amazon.com created "Warehouse Deals" to offer great deals on returned, warehouse-damaged, used, or refurbished products that are in good condition but do not meet Amazon.com rigorous standards as "new." On the Amazon.com site, Warehouse Deals functions like any other "Fulfilled by Amazon" merchant with items listed under the link on an item's detail page. Prior to offering an item for sale on Warehouse Deals, we verify physical and functional condition. Because we do not order inventory like a traditional store, we cannot guarantee availability of any item.

You know I bought something from amazon a few years back, in the UK, and I had ???'s as to whether it was 100% "new". Wasn't too chuffed and I might have been wrong - UK companies and shops don't have the reputation of actually looking after stuff like they do here in Japan - but it was borderline.

when I bought my digi camera I scratched the screen the first night I got it home.......right back in the box and taken back the next day to Bic Camera, telling them I opened the box and found it this way.....replaced no problems......I made sure I bought a carry case for it this time!

I am happy to take the display item if there is no damage and it is significantly cheaper. Did it with an air conditioner recently (but then they couldn't find the remote so they sold me the next one up, never demo-ed for $50 more than the floor model! YES!!), and a deli meat slicer.

How about getting sold as "new" online that comes and obviously been opened/used? No good that.

I was once offered 2000 yen off something that was 35000 yen full price, an item that was on display and it had loads of scratches on it. Could not believe they had the nerve to ask me for it, but they wouldn't budge. I felt like saying I'll give you 8000! :lol:

I wonder what happens to all the bread crusts.....poor little buggers just get forgotten about!! I like to use em for toast and slather them in butter!!

Mostly what companies do is destroy items that sent back.

Specialized bike company will often times trash bike frames, wheels, rimsets, etc for purely cosmetic reasons. If there's a scratch and people send it back then instead of undercutting their own prices, they destroy it or give it away to employees. That type of thing. We could easily see a HUGE drop in ski/bike/action/outdoor gear but because of maximization of profit, we will continue to see expensive prices for the gear that allows us to pursue healthy, outdoor activities.

Seriously? Even if they are expensive and have essentuially nothing wrong with them?

Yup, they can't re-sell it and to give it away would make a potential client disappear.

This isn't to say all outdoor companies or even most do this. It's the practice of some.