I and everyone I know just calls it Mashike Skijo. Learn something new everyday. It's a pretty good little fringe skijo and perfect for when I don't feel like making the trip to Kamui or Furano. Over to you then Metabo.

I imagine they get a fair bit of snow there mid winter? Shokanbetsudake holds its snow well into the summer. I skied up there in July last year. Long hike from the Mashike trailhead with skis and boots on my pack!

Ya, I've climbed it in the summer but as I recall it was late August so there was no snow left except maybe a few patches here and there. The view of Shokanbetsu from the Mashike skijo is pretty spectacular on a clear day and man o man it looks like it would be a sweet Heli spot. But as you suspected they do get a pretty good amount of snow so you'd need a snowmobile party to pick you up. My Brother-in-law and his buddies skidoo up in there quite a bit. Hmm.....All we need is a helicopter. ;)

Metabo....shot in the dark ,, Rusutsu.....?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

Very good, Onehunga. Numajiri it is.

Holder of the following records:

Oldest (1915) currently operating ski area in Japan.

First mechanical lift, a 15-person sled on an electric winch (1927).

First night operations (1927).

Their mascot is a squirrel, NumajiRisu-Kun.

They are in the town of Inawashiro.

Over to you!