My lady had just come back from the doctor.

Had a bit of a cold this week and coughing last night.

Doctor said it was just a cold but, get this, she comes home with a bag that has 6 (SIX!) different medicines for her to take. Six!

Is this normal for a cold?!

not really... depends what the medicines are...

If they are naturopathic/immune support things then I am surprised it wasnt more, my mother came home with 21 different potions and capsules to take!!

However if they are drugs - anitbiotics and the like then - WOWSERS!!!

its a curious thing... its like heating your house or washing your clothes... you COULD build a house with proper insulation and good central heating, or you COULD buy a kotatsu and live under your aircon all year. You COULD build a washing machine that doesnt destroy your clothes, then again you COULD just design a little bag in which you put your delicates in so that a top loading cold water washing machine doesnt destroy them. Finally you could design a medicine that doesnt make your tummy wrong from the side effects, or you could just give them a pill to counteract the potential side effects of the medicine.

One of my mates once rightly pointed out that you could actually prove that the sun goes around the earth, but the calculations youd have to do to show it would be so mind boggling to account for everything being ass backwards.

to sell medicines

I know where you're coming from there TB but.... surely, it can't be as simple as that.

There's peoples heath at stake.

it's gotta be to sell medicines. are you gonna keep going back to a doctor who told you to suck it up? or to one that looks after you well with all those wizz bang medicines?

Japanese people visit the doctor the most out of any country in the world. There must be a lot needless visits that drive up our health insurance payments.

I went with a bad cold once basically because work almost told me I had to, anyway I went and got a huge bag of things to take on the way out. I was not keen on the experience, I was told it was for a cold, but at the same time had 5 different things they wanted me to swallow. I ended up sitting it out and was better two days later.

I get that impression as well.

People seem to go with the slightests of colds.

On the other hand I go only if I am half dead or equivelant. :lol:

Ditto.

And mainly because it is hard to get an appointment, so you only bother if you are actually ill or injured.

And they normally take your blood pressure, your temperature and look in your ears and if there is not green goo (hee hee hee) coming out of anywhere then you are deemed to have a cold. Go home, take a couple of over the counter aspirin and get rest. That will be $120 please.

The drugs always come with a handy description of what they are, what they are for, and what their side effects are, so I just take the ones that are real medicine (antibiotics or whatever -- meant to cure the underlying problem), and only take the ones that are merely for symptoms or side-effects if I really feel I need them.

Antibiotics are NO F*ing USE against a cold!

Antibiotics only act against bacteria (the plural of bacterium) whereas the common cold is caused by a virus, against which an antibiotic has zero effect!

There's a reason that bacteria are becoming resistant ro treatments - and some of that is because of the over-prescription of anti-biotics and the insistence by patients that the doctor prescribe some anti-biotics for their ailments regardless of the cause of the problem.

Well, yes, if the doctor thinks it is a viral infection, they usually don't prescribe antibiotics, just symptom relievers.

(Unless it is a case for Tamiflu or something like that.) Then it is all optional. I'll at least take cough and sneeze suppressing medicine in that case, to minimize the chance of passing it on to someone else. (Minimum courtesy.)

My point is that it is you know the medicines all are, and can make informed judgments as necessary.

Hmm from the stuff my partner has brought home from time to time, I really don't think it has been clear. They come in small paper bags with not much written on them.

And, I don't know about anyone else, but if I go to a doctor, I want them to tell me what is wrong with me and what I need to take take. Taking medicine that a doctor has given me is definitely not something that I - knowing nothing - should be making my own judgements on. I want to be told. Surely

Hmm from the stuff my partner has brought home from time to time, I really don't think it has been clear. They come in small paper bags with not much written on them.

There should be an information sheet accompanying them, though. Does your pharmacy not give them out? (I assumed it was a requirement.)

And, I don't know about anyone else, but if I go to a doctor, I want them to tell me what is wrong with me and what I need to take take. Taking medicine that a doctor has given me is definitely not something that I - knowing nothing - should be making my own judgements on. I want to be told. Surely

Huh, maybe my doctor is even better than I thought. He does give me that kind of information generally. (In addition to the printed info sheet that the pharmacy gives out.)

Is this a rarity?

I have heard that Japanese medicine is generally not as strong as western equivalents e. g. painkillers

Is that true?

Sheep in Australia = 100 million

Sheep in New Zealand = 40 million

:confused:

Wow, I never realised that.

Then again I'm not really into sheep :friend:

Sheep in Australia = 100 million

Sheep in New Zealand = 40 million

:confused:

Wow, I never realised that.

Then again I'm not really into sheep :friend:

#of sheep / landmass = lot more density of sheep in NZ