SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
SKI

Hooded quad lifts at Japanese ski resorts

Definitely some at Hakuba Happo and 47/goryu and I think at Cortina too. Also at Kawaba in Gunma. I thought they were pretty common at most resorts - didnt realise many of the places in Yuzawa dont have them. Its definitely good to have them when its windy, and you can just lift the hood up on sunny days when you want to enjoy the views - the more the better I say!

Madarao have one - Their Super Quat lift - actual spelling

Both Shiga Kogen & Myoko Akakura have some from memory

I thought they were pretty common at most resorts - didnt realise many of the places in Yuzawa dont have them.

Interesting for me - I thought the opposite, though I suppose I would do when there are almost none in my representative local sample!

When you think that there are probably 25 'resorts' in Yuzawa and Minamiuonuma, and only one has them....

I thought the one at the back of Maiko was hooded...

Funny how there's not many in that area.

Rusutsu has plenty of hooded lifts, definitely great for the windy days. I prefer these to gondolas by far :thumbsup:

Aren't there some in Niseko? Personally, I hate them! :thumbsdown: Well maybe "hate" is a bit strong! ;)

I don't like them either really.

No doubt they are welcome in blizzard conditions, but as I don't venture out on days like that....

I love hooded quads when it is cold and windy -- which it always seems to be on a good snow day.

Don't see what there is to hate about them, actually!

'Hate' isn't the word but.... they get in the way and block all the lovely scenery on the ride.

So, best without. Again for me who only goes on nice weather days. ;)

Aren't there some in Niseko? Personally, I hate them! :thumbsdown: Well maybe "hate" is a bit strong! ;)

why do you dislike them, Mick?

I like em when the wind and snow is blowin

Ok, I'm preparing myself to be shot down in flames here but if I'm enclosed on a hooded quad, I lose some of the experience of going up the mountain, be it checking out potential lines, admiring the scenery or just breathing in the fresh air. It just becomes a way of getting from A to B with no real connection to the outside. Granted, I might want a little less "connection" when it's blowing a hoolie and I'm freezing my nuts off but for me, that's part of the experience. A bit like the difference between riding a motorbike and driving a car.

Nurse, more valium please! :crazy:

On one of our days at Nozawa we were happy for those top quads to have the hoods on. It was a momentary rest from the blizzard going on!

I'm often out when the snow is falling so for me, the hoods are great. You can simply lift the hood up on a fine weather day. Perhaps I should be a bit more gnarly and stick to a nice, long "romance lift" during a howling blizzard - naked, of course.

You can simply lift the hood up on a fine weather day.

But the air just doesn't flow through your hair the same as a non-hooded.

:dance:

I know what Mick means.

Definitely some at Hakuba Happo and 47/goryu and I think at Cortina too. Also at Kawaba in Gunma. I thought they were pretty common at most resorts - didnt realise many of the places in Yuzawa dont have them. Its definitely good to have them when its windy, and you can just lift the hood up on sunny days when you want to enjoy the views - the more the better I say!

There are no hooded chairs in the Hakuba valley.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.