so...I had quite a few tree runs at takatue on sat..and I got to thinkin...sometimes I can just nail the trees, hit all the lines, good control, no stoping...and other times, i'm just awful, can't stick my lines, stoping every other turn...it sucks...

so what do y'all think about in the trees...how do I get to the "next level" :p

just curious...

I read in some skiing magazine that it is best to look at the spaces between the trees, and not the trees...and that did wonders fro my riding, but hoping for some more tips...

bring it on

danz

danz you could always do what I do and just run over the trees. Afterall it seems to be only the little ones that get in the way.

I might reccomend some shin pads though. Got some nasty scars now from my many escapades.

absolutely...I have thought about bringing my slalom gear out of retirement for the trees...bashing gates, bashing trees...same thing...but somehow I think I might lose that battle eventually...

danz

I needed a cup over new years. Slide one 10 foot tree between my legs, thank god it bend down. Really missed that turn. Barok can justify it. If you look at my insiders page I also jumped onto one. GOt that on video.

Now seriously balls to the walls 1 dont look at the trees. 2 look beyond the trees. 3 try to spot your line and plan ahead like the moguls. dont react. 4 No that if you lay down in pow you can stop fast, leave that as your last way out. 5 hands out in front, use your hands or poles to keep the low branches out of your face. 6 best advice I ever got, From Wade Garit a coach a few years back for the Kiwi youth team. "This is not hard its fun and Im going to nail it". Good luck have confidence.

I must agree with Fattwins. Many a time have I wreaped the wrath of the tree. Obviously the trees are connected in some spiritual manner and they know when one of their kind hasbeen damaged by a ski. They just seem to find a way to slap you in the face with their branches or gouge out your ski with their trunks.

danz, what crack are you smoking, boy?

You rip, dude.

hem now

PS I screw my lines up too - its not cos I suck, but sometimes there are so many trees, there isn`t enough visibility to spot my line ie I can`t see far enough down the hill to plan my line far enough in advance.

Don`t let it get you down, hombre. Pick yourself up, dust of the snow, pick out the bark thats wedged itself in your boot buckles, and keep goin!

Quote:
Originally posted by hem now:

, pick out the bark thats wedged itself in your boot buckles,
Danz, is do you have the same bark in your buckles all the time, or do you get a new collection each ski trip??!! \:\)

I must admit, you didnt seem to have any probs with the odd tree at hakkouda.

its like I said...sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't...

I can do the same trees 2 times in a row, nail it the first time, and eat it over and over the second...I must admit, the deeper the pow, the easier time I have...

and yes, the bark is a constantly evolving part of my boots...its living art...me the moutain and the trees working in "harmony"

well, i guess the best thing is to ski more! yay! \:D

danz

By focusing on the space between the trees, you can see what's beyond the immediate set of trees - I think this is VERY important piece of element in successful tree runs.

For washig your wear, I use NikWax - it seems to work the best for the laminated (ie: Gore Tex) fabric.

Ah, danz, maybe I`m onto something.....

Trees are easy at first because all the snow is the same consistency, ie untracked. Your only concern is tree dodging.

After a few runs, however, you start to cross peoples tracks, and this variablity in depth wreaks havoc with your speed management.

All of a sudden, you have divert some of your tree radar energy to speed management and control. This means your tree radar is not working at 100%, and your run suffers.

Not much you can do about it, other than ski groomers all day. But then, I don`t think that would be quite your style, would it? Beards and groomers just don`t look right....;-)

hem now

I just focus on the space between the trees, I let my body reaction take care of someone else's tracks. Once you put your eys on those, you are focusing on only a 10 ft ahead, not far enough ahead of you.

danz,

yep, we had lunch and a couple of runs together. I was on the teles.

I`m the one with that interesting onsen experience. Going again tonight. Maybe I`ll get lucky again!

hem now - seriously hoping he doesn`t get "lucky" again.

alright!

Thanks for jogging my memory...how could I forget your onsen story...

That was a good day alright!

I recommend you wear some protection this time...be careful ;\)

danz

danz, db - went again last night, kept my ..er, head down, so to speak, and got out safely.

Maybe wearing my cricket box put off the homodachi`s!

It`s a pity I didn`t know Hakkoda really well when you guys came up - I`ve been going every weekend now, and have a much better feel for the place. Sure, it gets awkward at times, but I`ve discovered all the good stuff that makes it worth it. It`d just be nice if it wasn`t a white out ALL the time!

cheers,

hem now