All this talk about Hakoda has got me scratching my noggin. So, here comes the dumb Q: WHERE THE HELL IS THIS PLACE?! I`ve looked everywhere on my trusty higashi nihon map but still no luck. \:\( Would one of you please enlighten me...

Trees lov'em. My first run in powder was through the trees in Niseko.

There is no easy way through them but as mentioned before, look at the spaces between the trees and also use them as a focal point to do turns.

Saying that there is nothing like a deep powder run on an open steep slope.

Hem Now - do you guys bring snow shoes with you? Its been over a month since we've been to Hakkoda last - thinking about going this coming Monday since we have that day off.

We'll have to hook up next time we're up that way.

Ray

Ray,

nope, no snow shoes, I`m on teles so I just whack skins on. I`ve only had two days out the back so far, as the weather just hasn`t been friendly enough!

I`m working this Monday, but let us know when you`re coming up next. What sort of gear are you on? Board/skis/teles/snowbike/monoski/snoblades?

Cheers,

hem now

Snow board Hem...I know what you mean about the weather - I don't like the top of the mountain when its socked in or blowing the snow so hard you can't see anything. The times we've gone so far this year, its always snowed heavy with wind, or low clouds. And its always cloudless and clear when I'm on my way to work in the morning...typical...

Ray - I....have....a...hypothosis. Bear with me here. You know how when a lot of snow is supposed to hit Misawa but it always seems to bypass us to the North, South, East and West and we are left with a fairly clear 'hole' of decent weather over the city? Well, I believe that the Kami of Hakkoda takes our clouds and snow and places them smack dab on the top of the Hakkodas. He is basically saying "**** off you Ami's - no snow for you in town. Come play up here in this crap!" And when we have to work, he of course teases us with that incredible view we get from town.

Hakkoda-san is not a nice Kami. I was on 'his' mountain last weekend and he had the gaul to clothesline me with not one, but two tree branches. He did allow it to be sunny for a bit, but this is after 10 previous trips there this year in horrendous conditions. I think it is a test and why only the die-hards visit there in the dead of winter (and for the deep, fresh powder of course). Put up with it enough and you will be rewarded.