What's middle aged then?

I was a bit put back when my mum told me I was. But she's right. I just wasn't expecting it and want to deny that I am middle aged. But if the average male lasts until say his 70's, then I am middle aged.

Scary!

depends how you slice it.

If you assume say 75 as the average age of death, and you have a beginning, middle and end, then slice 75 three ways, and the middle sector runs from 25 to 50.

i doubt very few would agree that society's view agrees with the maths.

If you eliminate the under adult years from the maths (say under 18), then the last 57 years divided by 3 approximates:

child 0-17

adult: 18 - 38

middle 39 - 57

old 58 - 75 (death)

i like to think that I might age, but I'm not getting old!!

(and my mentality is still pre-pubescent! LOL)

Your toys have just got bigger and more expensive ;)

I've not got the pipe, the cardigan, or the slippers, but I don't go out much and I do like doing me garden.

I don't mind the term "middle aged" but did feel aggreived when my missus suggested that our daughter's pichi-pichi 22-y-o kindergarden teacher was young enough to be my daughter. I was harbouring somewhat different ideas myself!

Given that I hope to live long enough to get a telegram from the King, I can therefore define middle aged as 50. In which case I'll be middle aged before the kids start school.

What about that wise old saying - "you are only as old as the woman you feel"................or something like that

Given that I hope to live long enough to get a telegram from the King, I can therefore define middle aged as 50. In which case I'll be middle aged before the kids start school.

The Queen will still be around in 40 years.

She may even be a fembot!

depends how you slice it.

If you assume say 75 as the average age of death, and you have a beginning, middle and end, then slice 75 three ways, and the middle sector runs from 25 to 50.

i doubt very few would agree that society's view agrees with the maths.

If you eliminate the under adult years from the maths (say under 18), then the last 57 years divided by 3 approximates:

child 0-17

middle 39 - 57

old 58 - 75 (death)

YAY!! I'm an adult!

This thread is depressing :grandpa:

Though I do fit into the Adult category........................................twice

The Queen will still be around in 40 years.

She may even be a fembot!

Well I expect my telegram in 52 years, how long do fembots last?

This needs to be split. We need a "young adult" in there.

Definitely. 18 year olds and 38 year olds really aren't the same kind of creature are they.

This needs to be split. We need a "young adult" in there.

Definitely. 18 year olds and 38 year olds really aren't the same kind of creature are they.

Ummm no...they are not.

My two oldest son's are 18 and 20. Young Adult it is.

Ahhhh...I also have a confession to make. I am suffering from Alzheimer's. I read that 38 as 48.... :(

I am NOT an adult. I am middle aged :(

Oh dear...now I am totally gutted.

For what you do as your hobbies and stuff, age is pretty meaningless. Just do what you like.

I suppose the big one is if you have to change career or try and start one in middle age. With the way things are going, a lot of folks will get no pension before nearly seventy. That's twenty more years of work find if you're laid off at fifty.

And that has been a big issue fr people who lost a LOT during the first GFC. Retirement funds sapped, investments a fraction of their former value ... Having to work longer.