• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, this morning I sorted out lots of coins myself and went to the bank.

Came to 76000 yen!

:veryshocked:

Thanks for mentioning this, just good timing.

That's covered the cost of a 16mm fisheye lens!! :clap:

The trick Mamabear is to have a big box/pot near the door and just empty out change into it when you get home.

That's how my money built up.

:friend:

PB has an old Darrell Lea Liquorice Tin with lid that he is using presently - it is pretty big and close to full.

I just tried and I can't lift it!!!

Now bearing in mind I train..I am pretty strong, and probably if I tilted it and got underneath it and leveraged with my biceps it may make a difference, but wrapping two hands around the tin and trying to lift it just succeeds in deforming the metal tin!

I have a paper coffee cup on the bench in the kitchen with some higher denomination coins and a few $5 notes in it... handy for school requests when I can't be bothered running upstairs to get my purse while I am getting the kids ready.

We got a big rebate from our kindergarden earlier this week. Its private, but the local authority subsidizes it like a hoikuen.

I was expecting it to turn up in our bank account but they just bunged my missus an envelope.

I've already spent half of it on a Les Paul!

Chris

What I really wanted was a locally made guitar. Its a History TH-LM made by FujiGen, at Matsumoto or Omachi. The low end of the "timeless timber" ones they do. About 16 man when new in Shimamura, but 7-8man now second hand.

I think the same company made the Squier Strat my brother bought in 1985. I might have to buy a Strat myself (with the remaining money!) for a bit of funky cutting. Neck pickup all the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdM-QzVFWAo

Very nice guitar that LS....what colour?. Gibson quality has really been hit or miss over the past decade and a lot of the guitar builders under the Fujigen umbrella have really stepped it up. Other than the guitars I build, Momose is by far my favorite Japanese builder. Huge bang for the buck ratio and custom shop level build quality on their strats. I like the Tokai LS-150 series and up......great Loverocks! So many quality instruments to choose from these days... And amps, (my true love) oh...all the amps. These are the gravy days for gearheads like me.

Ah but how big is big? ;)

I have a coin bucket thing going on, but clear it out quite often. I should wait to get this "big bonus" effect!

Bigger then nothing is always a big bonus for me. :D

Hopefully I'll get one as well as the boy is on my tax deductions. ;)

Chris

Its "vintage cherry", a limited edition!

20100406-THSTD.jpg

I'm buying it s/h off photos, so hopefully it won't have issues and will be easy to play. I've got a little theory in that a guitar in this range is probably expensive enough to have been owned by an enthusiast who will have looked after it, but won't have actually been played all that much because that kind of person will usually have a number of other guitars. If it was their go-to guitar out of their collection, they wouldn't be selling it.

Anyway, if it gets me up to a level where I'm comfortable enough to try lots of different ones in a music shop without testing everyone's patience, it will have done its job. We've only have a cheapo acoustic, so I don't have a reference point for the feel, tone or action of an electric guitar.

Thanks for the info about other makers, and I'll definitely look out for them. Japanese make some great musical instruments! I'm not good enough to worry about set ups and tone just yet, but yeah,its like a world without limits once you do!

GOOD looking guitar! I think on those guitars the flame maple top is a real slab and not a photo-flame veneer. The vintage style PAF's set it off nicely as well. You are right in your theory...this guitar probably has spent most of it's life in the case or on a stand or hanging on the wall....sticker and tags are usually a tell that the owner has been attentive.

If all you've been doing to this point is beating on a "beater" then you're in for a treat....don't cheap out on an amp though.

Unless you want something special, say a Rickenbacker or a big Brian Setzer type Gretsch, just get a Japanese one! Support the local economy!

I got nowhere on guitars for years till I discovered extra light strings. They have been a revelation. Faster progress=more desire to play=faster progress, it's a virtuous circle.

Chris, that's actually a photo of a new one. The photos of the one I bought were a bit big for posting on here. Its got barely a mark on it though. It still pales compared to the ones that you make. You've got beautiful grain on them. All customized too!

If you've got valve amps, how does the big temperature and humidity swing between winter and summer in Japan affect them? Does it affect your carpentry too?

Unless you want something special, say a Rickenbacker or a big Brian Setzer type Gretsch, just get a Japanese one! Support the local economy!

I got nowhere on guitars for years till I discovered extra light strings. They have been a revelation. Faster progress=more desire to play=faster progress, it's a virtuous circle.

Chris, that's actually a photo of a new one. The photos of the one I bought were a bit big for posting on here. Its got barely a mark on it though. It still pales compared to the ones that you make. You've got beautiful grain on them. All customized too!

If you've got valve amps, how does the big temperature and humidity swing between winter and summer in Japan affect them? Does it affect your carpentry too?

Valve amps are the only amps I build.... or use for that matter. The amp room currently has....a '64 Bassman- the Fender holy grail, a mid 80's Marshall JCM 800, a '68 Fender Super Reverb, a modded Traynor YCV-40, a Champ, a BrownNote D'Lite 44, a couple Marshall 18 watt clones that I build, and various Two Rock inspired amps that I build.

There really aren't any issues with the humidity other than surface rust on the transformers and maybe the possibility of mold and mildew on the inside of the cabinets. A few of these amps are highly collectable so I take pretty good care of them.

Thank you for the comments on the guitars. It's nice to be able to build a guitar to your exact specs and desired materials. I've owned Custom Shop guitars in the past and there were even compromises with those despite the high cost. Humidity and guitar building isn't much of an issue either as long as all surfaces get some finish on them. If not, you will get some warping and twisting.