Im a bit worried that the winter might be coming to a premature end - JMA have changed their long range forecasts to a mild outlook for most of Japan in March and April. Not much snow on the horizon in the coming week and it looks like our planned trip to Hakuba next weekend will be postponed. Unisys weather maps just show high pressure to the north of japan bringing mild easterly winds - looks very spring-like - no blue colours anywhere near Japan. So, is that it, or can we expect things to turn again in a week or two?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just trying to send positive chilly mojo there Jelly. You know.....

Powder day yesterday and snowing again in Niseko today.

I'm sure it's not 'it' yet, but pretty safe to say that the peak is behind us.

It has felt very spring like for a week or so now really.

Wintery stuff usually does come back in March to some extent but I think the mindset needs to click into spring mode now.

Round here anyway.

Avoids disappointment that way!

I actually got my bike out last night and went for a rid around the neighbourhood.

Good to see 10cm or so on my car outside this evening though.

And I doubt resorts will be struggling to stay open until they want to as well, still 2m outside my house.

:friend:

Yeah, I remember I had a plan to go on March 12th last year and that was a powder day - obviously didnt end up going, but did go a couple of weeks later and had 40cms of fresh! Its just the weather outlook this year isnt looking too promising.....

I read Gary's comment as being worried that WINTER is over, ie. big snowfalls and winter conditions.

And I would say, we will get more snowfall for sure, but definitely past that peak.

That doesn't mean that there isn't over 2 months left in places though.

:party:

Gary, realistically, we're probably moving out of powder season soon (hit some nice side-piste stashes today, but who knows how long that will last), but if one has a broader view, it is not over by a long shot.

But this is coming from a person who has had a good time at Yeti in October, and Kagura in May, so discount as you wish.

I doubt anyone is questioning the length of the season.

Or that you can have fun in May.

Naturally we just want regular thick new fluffy layers of deep snow and they become less regular when it gets to March. Not really unexpected surely, with the peak of a season pretty much always being mid-Jan to mid-Feb. Can't stop time chugging along unfortunately!

Great thing is how much there is around at this stage this year.

Let's hope March can bring some good surprises.

I want more powder days!!!! Last two years, I've had some of my best days skiing in March with knee deep+ fresh powder. Im hoping for the same again this year, but so far its not looking too good, at least for the first week or so.....

Yes, March 12th, 13th and 14th of 2011 were very nice up at Hakuba. After finding out my house wasn't swept away by the Tsunami and a wee bout of guilt.....I was out on that Saturday morning....the skiing was glorious.

I would like to remind people that what the weather was doing on March 12th one year ago has absolutely no bearing on what it will be doing on March 12th this year.

Worth remembering!

;)

Just trying to send positive chilly mojo there Jelly. You know..... ;)

• Like 1

We will have a few more wintery blasts, and a few more heavy dumps in March, winter isn't quite over yet! April may well also bring a few surprises too!

Same each year though, by the end of Feb the weather breaks up, kind of a set pattern really.

Two years ago we had a huge dump of snow here in mid March, actually more than mid winter and it snowed here in mid April too.

With so much snow around this year the season is far from over in many places.

The weather this year is anyway going to be very unstable and very changable with many extremes, both above and below average temps. It will most likely be wetter than usual too, until at least Autumn. (70% chance) Typhoon season is also likely to start early again this year. (60% chance)

Also there will be more cloudy days than average in many parts of the country. (70% chance)

I will update my forecast again later if I think things will change!