• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate the nanny state mentality, but unfortunately the 10% can do a lot of damage to the remaining 90%

I agree. Whilst walking lost in Tokyo I had a very nice Japanese gentleman walk up and offer me some help. He saw me reading a map and clearly knew that I had no idea where I was lol so he helped me o

Pour some chlorine in the gene pool...?

Why do Australians have to act so appallingly in Japan Everywhere?

Letting off firecrackers around small children is not acceptable anywhere and I doubt it is acceptable in Niseko either.

I am quite sure it is only a small minority of Australians, but it is definitely not only in Japan where they behave so appallingly.

The why part, I am not sure, but they certainly do not do much for the image of Australia around the world.

On a slightly different note, the standard of service in Australia is certainly much lower than it is in Japan. I find it quite interesting that when I travel to Japan, how amazingly accommodating the Japanese people are, considering that I only know about 10 words of Japanese, but Japanese and Asian tourists in general get treated so poorly over here. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/12800069/tourist-attacked-three-hours-after-arriving/ This sort of thing is too common, and every time something like this happens, it has a big impact on the tourism economy over here.

We came across 3 families with children, all Canadian, a few years back in Niseko who were letting off a huge variety of firecrackers they had bought in Kutchan near to where we were waiting for the bus back from Izumikyo. They had some real littlies and it seemed really dangerous to me. My youngest (who was 9 or 10 at the time) said "Wow, Mum, those people shouldn't be letting their kids get so close". I found myself automatically putting myself in between them and my kids, even though they were WAY further away than the peoples own children.

So it is not only Aussies.

But I agree that just because you are on holidays it doesn't mean bad stuff can't happen, you should still make sensible decisions.

It is definitely a small minority who behave like idiots, I suppose due to the high concentration of Aussies in Niseko it might seem like "it is always an Aussie".

I hope you told them off?!

I've met some lovely Australians in the last couple of months in Niseko. But I've run into a few undesirables as well, including a group of men who were swearing loudly and close to fighting amongst themselves in a restaurant. Kind of spoilt the romantic evening I was having with the mrs.

Why do Australians have to act so appallingly in Japan.?

Letting off firecrackers around small children is not acceptable anywhere and I doubt it is acceptable in Niseko either.

What is so appalling about that? In Japan letting off firecrackers is pretty normal stuff and I've seen Japanese dads setting them off with their young kids plenty of times just like we used to do in Australia before we became a namby pamby nanny state.

Why do Australians have to act so appallingly in Japan.?

What is so appalling about that? In Japan letting off firecrackers is pretty normal stuff and I've seen Japanese dads setting them off with their young kids plenty of times just like we used to do in Australia before we became a namby pamby nanny state.

Firecrackers are ok, using them around small children is not the smartest thing to do. I would be more shocked if they were some else's children. (but without knowing the full facts it's easy to jump to conclusions)

Australia is a nanny state, they do it to protect the 10% of the gene pool that would qualify for a Darwin award.

Meh...kids grow up around lots of fireworks here. You should be here in August...and down at the beach where I live... it's snap-crackle-pop all the time. I think you're maybe making a bigger deal about it than the Japanese would.

Unless..they were having roman candle battles like what we used to do when I was a kid... :lol:

Another user here who has seen kids letting off fireworks.

No real issue as long as everyone treats them with care, compared to the UK where fireworks are kept behind a counter and you have to be over 16? or is it 18? to buy them.

On a slightly different note, the standard of service in Australia is certainly much lower than it is in Japan. I find it quite interesting that when I travel to Japan, how amazingly accommodating the Japanese people are, considering that I only know about 10 words of Japanese, but Japanese and Asian tourists in general get treated so poorly over here.

I agree. Whilst walking lost in Tokyo I had a very nice Japanese gentleman walk up and offer me some help. He saw me reading a map and clearly knew that I had no idea where I was lol so he helped me out and it made a lasting impression on me.

Upon returning to Australia at my local train station I saw a group of elderly Japanese looking at maps and displaying all the same characteristics that I was when I was lost in Tokyo. I walked up and asked them if they needed help, they almost fell over from shock and graciously accepted my help which was merely pointing them in the right direction. Small things can have a big impact be it positive or negative.

Before I had been to japan I would have never considered helping out a group of elderly Japanese tourists, this is how the Australian way of life had trained me to behave. A few weeks in Japan has completely changed the way I look at life and how easy it is to be a positive influence on those around you.

I still love fireworks though.

• Like 1

On a slightly different note, the standard of service in Australia is certainly much lower than it is in Japan. I find it quite interesting that when I travel to Japan, how amazingly accommodating the Japanese people are, considering that I only know about 10 words of Japanese, but Japanese and Asian tourists in general get treated so poorly over here.

I agree. Whilst walking lost in Tokyo I had a very nice Japanese gentleman walk up and offer me some help. He saw me reading a map and clearly knew that I had no idea where I was lol so he helped me out and it made a lasting impression on me.

Upon returning to Australia at my local train station I saw a group of elderly Japanese looking at maps and displaying all the same characteristics that I was when I was lost in Tokyo. I walked up and asked them if they needed help, they almost fell over from shock and graciously accepted my help which was merely pointing them in the right direction. Small things can have a big impact be it positive or negative.

Before I had been to japan I would have never considered helping out a group of elderly Japanese tourists, this is how the Australian way of life had trained me to behave. A few weeks in Japan has completely changed the way I look at life and how easy it is to be a positive influence on those around you.

I still love fireworks though.

I think it is a naive and insulated way to behave, rather than the "Australian way of life". And as we become more and more 'world travellers' you know better and so you do better. Generally.

If I pass a group of Japanese Tourists I always nod politely and a quietly practice my Japanese. A little Hello, Good afternoon, excuse me (if I am squeezing past) - doesn't hurt anyone, and must make people feel more welcome hearing their own language. And I will always help anyone who looks lost or in need of a little help...tourist or not.

Sad I know but its true. I dont know many people who never leave Australia that hold japanese tourists in high regard, I know I never used to until I experienced the way they treat us in Japan (excluding 99% of tokyo)

Maybe what I am saying is just a bit to real for some this forum.

Sad I know but its true. I dont know many people who never leave Australia that hold japanese tourists in high regard, I know I never used to until I experienced the way they treat us in Japan (excluding 99% of tokyo)

Maybe what I am saying is just a bit to real for some this forum.

Care to explain, I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

I think it is a naive and insulated way to behave, rather than the "Australian way of life".

it was in response to this

Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning.

- rather than thinking that rudeness and and treating international visitors was the Australian way, I was merely expressing that I felt people behaved that way because they were naive and insulated, rather than Australian. It happens in lots of other places too.

I was not having a dig at you personally.

And I am not really offended when people get ticked with my countrymen - I get that way often enough myself!

Just thought it was a bit sweeping to suggest that the Australian way of life is ignorant, rude and racist - because it is not the case for all of us.

Well people are probably well aware of my somewhat dim view of Australia and Australians but the point I was trying to make was that what may be considered 'appalling' in Australia due to our ridiculous overzealous nanny state mentality is actually something completely normal in Japan. So with little else to go on from the OP I think their reaction is probably going a little overboard and shows a complete lack of what might be considered pretty normal behaviour in Japan.

In my years living in Niseko I constantly came across Aussies outraged at the behaviour of other Aussies but it was often outrage based on their own complete and utter misunderstanding of what might be acceptable in Japan. Amazing how many Aussies seemed to think they knew all about Japanese culture from a 10 minute read of a guidebook on the plane trip over. Sure some of the behaviours of a very small minority are completely unacceptable but such behaviour can be found at just about any international resort destination regardless of the nationalities involved.

I was going to let off some small sky rocket's that we bought in town.Well away from other people but unsure now don't want to cause any hassles :(

I think it is a naive and insulated way to behave, rather than the "Australian way of life".

it was in response to this

Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning.

- rather than thinking that rudeness and and treating international visitors was the Australian way, I was merely expressing that I felt people behaved that way because they were naive and insulated, rather than Australian. It happens in lots of other places too.

I was not having a dig at you personally.

And I am not really offended when people get ticked with my countrymen - I get that way often enough myself!

Just thought it was a bit sweeping to suggest that the Australian way of life is ignorant, rude and racist - because it is not the case for all of us.

You are right Mamabear, being from NZ and now living in Australia, there really isn't that much difference between Aussies and Kiwis in this regard. Both countries regard themselves as very high up the international tourism ladder, but the way we treat tourists, particularly Asian tourists, is pretty poor. I really think that we need to lift our game in this area if the tourism industry is going to continue to be a big part of our countries.

Gozaimaas, I have had a similar experience in Tokyo, it is quite humbling. I really think that it is the Japanese people that make a holiday to Japan so special.

Well people are probably well aware of my somewhat dim view of Australia and Australians but the point I was trying to make was that what may be considered 'appalling' in Australia due to our ridiculous overzealous nanny state mentality is actually something completely normal in Japan. So with little else to go on from the OP I think their reaction is probably going a little overboard and shows a complete lack of what might be considered pretty normal behaviour in Japan.

In my years living in Niseko I constantly came across Aussies outraged at the behaviour of other Aussies but it was often outrage based on their own complete and utter misunderstanding of what might be acceptable in Japan. Amazing how many Aussies seemed to think they knew all about Japanese culture from a 10 minute read of a guidebook on the plane trip over. Sure some of the behaviours of a very small minority are completely unacceptable but such behaviour can be found at just about any international resort destination regardless of the nationalities involved.

Normal behavior it may be and a possible overreaction from my first post. I still think it is wrong to let fireworks off near children, regardless of its legalities.

Well that's your point of view and you're welcome to it. To suggest the people's actions were 'disgraceful' and they should be 'ashamed' based only what the OP stated I think is a bit much. Letting off fireworks with your kids is completely normal in Japan (it's not a complete nanny state like Aus). Still who knows, without more details of what occurred it's hard to tell.