Up to 60cm of snow forecast for parts of Hokkaido

From today's avi report

15cm of broken snow crystals in the last 12 hours. 40cm in the last 24 hours.

Doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

The microclimate here never ceases to amaze me. I live close to Hanazono and didn't see that much snow, one blog reported "only" 14 cm in the last 24 hours as well (I think the writer lives in Hirafu), but the avi report lists 40 cm at mountain base.

Its been dumping up here in Bibai the past few days. I keep going to the local mountain here, NOBODY is there and its all deep pow runs to myself!

You're in Bibai? I live just down the road in Iwamizawa. We've had stupid amounts of snow this winter. I'm down in Niseko at the mo, I really hope mother nature goes easy on us, I really don't want to spend all night digging out somewhere to park when we get home tomorrow!

You're in Bibai? I live just down the road in Iwamizawa. We've had stupid amounts of snow this winter. I'm down in Niseko at the mo, I really hope mother nature goes easy on us, I really don't want to spend all night digging out somewhere to park when we get home tomorrow!

Almost certain that Iwamizawa will crack 10m snowfall this season which it hasn't done since 1970.

Keen to hear and hopefully see more about this Bibai place, norcal.

:)

I put some pictures up of the Bibai ski area on my profile page if you want to see them. Got a few more i need to put up. Bibai is a nice place, wouldn't mind living there, but they do get alot of snow.

@Magseven - my daughter was born at the Iwamizawa ladies clinic, so I've been that way a few times. Bigger place than Bibai, nice area. What do you do there? (if its not too personal)

I'm an ALT. Been here 18 months or so now and love it. If only we had bigger hills! I skinned up the Bibai ski jo in December before it opened and went over the back up one of the taller hills behind, was alot of fun.

Iwamizawa certainly got pounded over the weekend. I was driving back from Niseko Sunday late avo/early eve and the conditions were really sketchy. Traffic has been terrible since then as so many of the roads are down to one lane with few passing places.