Had a couple of messages recently from a friend who works in Master Braster in Hakuba.

Couple of incidents - first one a few weeks ago: Master Braster had made a flag with some "Gambarou Nihon" messages and so on which they were hoping to send up to Tohoku in support of victims of the disaster. The flag was stolen by some customers.

Thankfully, whoever did it must have seen the error of their ways when they sobered up and sent the flag back to Master Braster from Australia.

But, last night someone from a group of Australians customers stole a stock of alcohol from the Maser Braster store house and ended up dumping it on the street.

Im pretty sure this wont apply to the vast majority of visitors to this site, and I know the above concerns Australians but this applies to whatever nationality (I know us Brits can behave pretty terribly on our foreign jaunts too) - please come to Japan and enjoy a good drink and party all you like, but use some common sense: do not start fights; do not be aggressive or start arguments or trouble and do not take stuff that doesnt belong to you, however insignificant it may seem - even for a daft drunken joke. To a certain extent, you are representing your country when you go abroad and when things like the above happen with any sort of regularity, it ends up dragging you and your country's reputation through the dirt.

• Like 1

I think people just get well drunk and do this kind of thing for a daft joke with their mates. Hopefully if they do happen to read about this and think about it before they come, it might just ring a very distant bell when they are wasted and make them think twice...!

I am afraid it is just our culture must have been passed down from the British/Irish.

We are a nation of binge drinkers and its getting worse.

I for one cannot talk.

But it seems that we cannot have just a few drinks although it is a minority it is a loud one.

I couldn't imagine having beer vending machines in Australia they would get trashed or stolen the 1st night.

We have alot to learn.

Seemore

Make no mistake, the Japanese themselves are not averse to some serious binge drinking, but unlike in some western countries it tends not to lead to much trouble. You will often see people blind drunk stumbling onto trains and even the odd pavement pizza, but its very rare to see any kind of aggression or violence or destructive behaviour. It could land you in serious trouble in Japan. Caught trying to trash a beer vending machine? Or punched someone in the face in a drunken fight? Expect minimum 15 days in a police cell - when you eventually get to see a solicitor he will simply demand money from you to get you out. You will eventually be released having been relieved something like 3000 US dollars legal fees and another 2000 dollars compensation to the victim of your crime.

One thing I always notices is just how non-violent Japanese drunks are.

As drunk as people get, there's never any kind of intimidating atmoshpere going on.

Certainly here in this pocket of Japan anyway.

One thing I always notices is just how non-violent Japanese drunks are.

As drunk as people get, there's never any kind of intimidating atmoshpere going on.

Certainly here in this pocket of Japan anyway.

definitely in comparison with our home countries.......but I have seen drunken nihon-jins getting all lairy and aggressive. 1 time this salaryman was trying to push another guy onto the train tracks....his mates not very good at restraining him, another pushing a guy on the train because he said he "touched his foot" :lol: ......actually those 2 are the only ones I can think of!! :lol: For sure it doesn't happen very often! :D

Certainly exists, but there's a whole different level to the aggro atmosphere here. Much lower that is.

Sometimes, even back home in a classy places such as inner city Liverpool, you can really feel intimidated out and about. And I don't just mean by the girls. ;)

yeah, I know what yo mean.....if aggro does happen here it tends to the "hold-me-back" posturing variety with little threat of it actually gonna come to anything but walking about back home there is definitely a nastier atmosphere around.....like it can explode out of nowhere

well yeah Tafkat, there are those places but they tend to be Yakuza bars and again at least they tell you to be on your way.........gangsta's back home get right in your face then prceed to spread your face around as much as they can......terribly inconvenient for getting into another bar