IM scottish! the biggest question i therefore have is this:

DId you get fined? How much was it? Actually two questions. I hate to be flippant, but you actually looked rather cheery at the asurdity of the scenario you were in at one point in the clip so i assume you find it both terrifying and nuts in equal measure :)

As i said though on the actual clip, "damn man, you can write!" Keep at it and youll be at worst writing movies that are massively more interesting than frozen :p

• Like 1

IM scottish! the biggest question i therefore have is this:

DId you get fined? How much was it? Actually two questions. I hate to be flippant, but you actually looked rather cheery at the asurdity of the scenario you were in at one point in the clip so i assume you find it both terrifying and nuts in equal measure :)

As i said though on the actual clip, "damn man, you can write!" Keep at it and youll be at worst writing movies that are massively more interesting than frozen :p

I think my 1 year old nephew could write movies that are more interesting than Frozen!! :lol:

• Like 1

Everyone who is venturing off piste should read this report. :sadface: And that is why I stay on the groomers :lol:

I see people heading off into the trees, and it looks fun, but knowing that I have a kid to drive back home with me keeps me from getting adventurous.

• Like 1

Glad that there wasnt another death reported but is there any need for the stereotypical reporting of Japanese speech in the report?

And as metabo said, the thought of my family prevents me from doing anything dumbass stupid. I may be boring, but kids need parents.

• Like 1

A riveting account Ricco. Disappointed that the wolves didn't show up though.. ;) But hey....artistic liscense is yours for the hollywood version. Might want to write in having to cut something off...hand, fingers, toes....seems to work for the box office draw.

All kidding aside.....It's a sobering tale. Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Everyone who is venturing off piste should read this report. :sadface: And that is why I stay on the groomers :lol:

I see people heading off into the trees, and it looks fun, but knowing that I have a kid to drive back home with me keeps me from getting adventurous.

I am very much the same. But little by little I edge toward more danger. Hopefully I am doing it slowly enough to learn a thing or two along the way. Interestingly if my kids are with me I make even more cautious choices. They are probably way more effective than a beacon at keeping you safe! LOL

So you're the guy! I had heard about your adventure through a tour guide. Thank heavens that your phone had reception.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll bear it mind whenever I think about being adventurous.

• Like 1

It was late last night when I found this thread and not wanting to wake PB, but wanting to watch the video, I left it until this morning.

Thank you so much for sharing that!

What a stroke of luck that the camera was rolling and on you to capture the drama unfold!

That is obviously an area that catches many unawares as one of my sons had his own drama there in Feb 2010.

I was in Perth, poolside watching my younger children train when he called me on his mobile to tell me he was stuck. Luckily having been in Niseko a few times myself I knew exactly where he meant. He pulled up and got stuck when he came across the waterfall, and it was a decent walk out through knee deep snow for him. I kept him on the line until he was back to safety. Certainly nowhere near as hair raising as your ordeal, but still a reminder of the dangers of riding alone. He had ditched his mates as they felt unprepared for the terrain and stuck to the groomer.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated. The rescue cost me 50,000yen. I was happy to pay when I realized I couldn't get out alone. Yes, I definitely thought the situation was absurd and unbelievable (I shook my head at my own stupidity several times). I couldn't believe I could get myself in a helpless situation like that. I think thats what happens in nature. We feel comfortable with the softness and beauty; but forget how powerful and dangerous it can be; and also then how easily and quickly trouble can escalate. I apologize for the stereotypical Japanese linguistics; but I was trying to capture the authenticity of the speech(Onomatopoeia). I truly thought the Japanese rescuers spoke English very well. I just tried to recreate it as original as possible. No harm or insult intended. My Japanese sounds like chopped veggies. Haha. They were definitely more skilled linguistically than I. Thanks again. Im glad I lived to tell the tale and hopefully get to ride with you someday. Love Japan, its, culture, scenery and snow. Happy to experience it again, but with more intelligence this time.

Cheers,

Ricco

Hang out brotha....we need some more skiers around here ...and Canadians are kind of scarce, too. ;) Where ya from back home?

Thanks man. Im from Sudbury Ontario Canada. How about you eh? ;)

:lol: ice hockey is cool.

On the seroius note, a good reminder and points out no go area ...

I think carrying a mobile is compulsory. and a walkie-talkie with your mates ...

I am even thinking of flare guns :confused:

What piece of equipment could have helped in that situation? Ice pick?

I just got back from almost dying a slow freezing death at Hakkoda today. I did a nice little slack country run on my first trip down.. one I had never done before. Of course I was going to do it again the second time round. Well I did, and I missed a CRUCIAL turn somewhere without noticing. It was 2:00PM. I have no idea how but I wound up in the ravine just like you. I knew that was not a safe way to keep going so I decided the only sensible choice was to follow my own track back UPHILL. I called my wife to let her know I had messed up and would be late. I wasn't really sure where I was, but I felt like she needed the false confidence, and I had to buy some time. After an hour of inching my way uphill through 70cm on top of the previous days 60cm of snow, I decided it was whistle time. I blew and blew and blew, but little did I know I was WAY off course. Then I pulled out my phone to call Hakkoda and tell them I was lost. I hit send and the phone dies before even placing the call. All I knew was that I Was west of the marked course, heading east meant all uphill but I felt there wasn't any other option. after 3.5 hours and darkness settling in I REALLY didn't know if I had gone the right way and I was ill-prepared to make a snow cave or the likes to spend the night. All of a sudden the Hotel came into view as I trudged along, and I never felt such a sense. I almost cried to be honest. I got in the car and left immediately. Be careful out there! Stick to trails you know, and get a guide to familiarize yourself with new terrain if you feel you absolutely must go there on your own!