A new As I Ski It feature, "Skiing in Iwate...for dummies", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/as-i-ski-it-10.html

An introduction to skiing in Iwate means conveying to the skier that this Prefecture and the surrounding ones get a ton of snow, and I do emphasize quite a lot. Only those foreigners coming to Iwate from the Rocky Mountains have probably seen decent quality ski areas blessed with more snow.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/as-i-ski-it-10.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

I read in the newspaper (and posted on this forum last season) that Hachimantai Resort had run out of money. Is it going to stay open?

I've heard good things about Hachimantai. It looks like a great little resort.

Snobo Yaro, Shizukuishi is pretty good for the nuts and bolts as far as the skiing is concerned, just don`t expect too much over and above that, and you will have a great time. Though its been raining up here lately, hope we get some more snow before you make it to Shizu. Dean

Plucky, you are too kind, Im glad to see you agree with me. I want to make it plain to the readers that you are not in any way paid for, or forced, coerced, or manipulated to say that. Though I should pay you. My High School English teachers thought I was going to be a good short order cook in the future. Yoroshiku, Dean

No Fakie, about Hachimantai Resort, it is runnig this year as it was bought up by Shimokura, the neighboring ski area. They now run together under one ticket, and have a shuttle bus between the mountains. They fixed up Hachimantais facilities some, and it looks to be a good move for both, as Shimokura is too small and a tad too challenging to be a great family resort. They compliment each other well, and one would hope they dont go broke. We`ll have to wait and see how it unfolds.

Hachimantai, go there on a powdery day, and it defies description. Watch out for avalanches in the woods! Dean

Dean, I'll gladly receive payment for any future ego pumping you may need \:\) This first one is on me though.

I'll be at the Forest this Sunday (Feb 16). I'm really hoping for a day like I had two weeks ago. Lightest powder I've ever skied! I've posted on here about the place a few times - a true secret of Japan skiing - until your darn article at least \:\) Any chance you will be up there this weekend? (I'll be at Tazawako on Saturday, Forest Sunday)

I've never skied the Resort but had to pick some people up there a few weeks ago after my day at the Forest. They had the biggest Hello Kitty inflatable sitting outside the lodge. Looked kind of fun to bomb down the hill and run in to the thing. BOING!!!

Bob, I see you are in DC, not much good skiing there. Pre(This comment has been self-censored due to its heavily political nature)ks!!!!!!! However, you may just have a job that I am envious of. I guess everything has an element of sacrifice to it. Must miss Tohoku, Chuubu and/or Hokkaido skiing! Dean

Helen Tokyo, Appi may not be the ideal place for a few types of really advanced skiiers (though they do have some decent expert terrain), it really has a lot for just about anyone else. It was no suprise a recent poll put Appi as the second best ski area in the country. Dean

Fattwins, there is the usual assortment of teaching jobs in the area, plus the Earlham program is based here. In addition to a high concentration of JETs and Eikaiwas, there are more english teaching jobs than usual for a rural Japanese location. Appi itself is said to hire foreigners if their Japanese is good enough. I have seen a ski instructor, and a cafeteria worker that are most definitely not Japanese(by genetics at least, they may have passports and/or upbringing). Appi seems to have a higher awareness of the fact that some of its customers are not Japanese, and will have a higher concentration of English speaking staff(Japanese or foreign), than any other ski area I have been to in Japan. Dean

• 1 month later...